Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ViciousXUSMC
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Mosley

Backup Job Need Specific Dir from Different Machines

Post by ViciousXUSMC »

Hard to fit it in the title so let me explain my conundrum a bit.
I have 2 servers that need to be in the same backup job because I need a pre/post script to run to put the database in read only mode and both servers are supposed to be backed up at the same time.

I also unfortunately can not do a full machine or volume level backup because its like 20TB of stuff and we do not have the storage for it right now, so I need to use the File Level backup using the agent.

Where I am stuck is the file level selections appear to be global for all machines in the backup. EG: C:\Users will grab the directory from both servers.

Is there a way for me to make independent selections of files for each server while they are contained in the same job?
That is the question for now, and when I can I'll change this to a better backup.

If not does anybody have any smart and easy way to run these as two jobs but keep the pre/post script mechanism functional?
I figure I can put the pre script on one job, and the post script on the other and make it so that one job is schedule to run after the first job finishes, but running my backup in a linear fashion like that is going to make it take much longer.

Thanks for the help.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup Job Need Specific Dir from Different Machines

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Patrick,
Is there a way for me to make independent selections of files for each server while they are contained in the same job?
No, within one backup job that's not possible, but you can include path to folder that is not present at some computers (such object will be ignored by backup job if it does not exist on the host) to a single job:

1. C:\Folder1 was added as a source object
2. Machine A has such folder, Machine B does not have it.
3. Backup job will process such item on the Machine A and ignore it on the Machine B
If not does anybody have any smart and easy way to run these as two jobs but keep the pre/post script mechanism functional?
Looks like the best solution would be to split those machines into separate backup jobs. If needed you can start one backup job after another using the job chaining schedule option.
ViciousXUSMC
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Mosley

Re: Backup Job Need Specific Dir from Different Machines

Post by ViciousXUSMC »

Ok, didn't think about the path missing from the other server to just ignore it. that will be my best option.
Now I am fighting the entire scripts thing.

I need the script to run with credentials so I am using the enable application aware processing -> scripts but I do not see where veeam is actually even trying to run the scripts.
Does a thaw script work when using a physical machine w/ agent?

The scripts I have work using our old backup product on the server so I would expect it to work here.

Also since Veeam is supposed to upload the script to the server its backing up to execute, does that mean it will upload a copy of the script to all the servers in the job and try to execute it on each?