Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rmcdonald75
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ray McDonald

Backup Mode Question

Post by rmcdonald75 »

Hi All,

What is there a difference between Entire Computer backup vs Volume Level Backup? I want to backup the entire computer but there is two NAS Volumes i don't want to be backed up and it does not look like i can exclude these two NAS volumes in the Entire backup job so i am going to pick Volume level but if i was to do a full system restore i want to make sure i can recover the server using the Volume backup.

Thanks
Ray
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Mode Question

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ray,
There is no way to exclude the volumes if you choose "Entire computer" mode, in your case you need the volume-level backup from where you can perform the desired restore once you need it.
You may also want to backup system state data.
Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,
two NAS Volumes i don't want to be backed up
If you are referring to external volumes being mapped in your OS most likely they won’t be included in the backup. VAW (VEB) does not support external drives as a source, however, iSCSI mounted volume is the only type of external devices that can be included in the backup.
i am going to pick Volume level but if i was to do a full system restore i want to make sure i can recover the server using the Volume backup
Make sure you have operating system volume and system reserved/UEFI partition checked – then Bare Metal Recovery will work.
rmcdonald75
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ray McDonald

Post by rmcdonald75 »

Hi there,

Yes the external volumes are ISCSI so it picked them up. I will have to see if System State was an option i dont remember seeing it during volume based job. I just found the check mark to show system and hidden volumes. I will have to try to do a BMR to a VM soon.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Ray,

Thanks for the clarification!
I will have to see if System State was an option i dont remember seeing it during volume based job
If you go to file level backup you will see this option.
I just found the check mark to show system and hidden volumes.
That should work.
VAXman65
Influencer
Liked: 7 times

[MERGED] What do I miss with volume backup mode?

Post by VAXman65 »

I have always used the Entire Computer backup mode. What would I miss if I selected Volume level backup instead and selected all the drives? Is there something that would not get backed up? Is there any difference in my restore abilities?

I am asking because I have a machine where it is highly desirable to exclude one of the volumes from the backup. I would like to retain all the capabilities of the Entire Computer backup, just without the one problem-child (non-OS) volume in the backup.

Thanks,
Peter
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva » 2 people like this post

Hi Peter,

Using Entire Computer mode you back up all the volumes which are available at the moment when you start the job.
Using Volume-Level backup mode you can choose which volumes to back up.
In your case, you can use Volume-Level Backup. You can include not only computer volumes but also System state data.
Since you cannot retain one volume from Entire computer backup, Volume level backup should help.

In short, if you chose Volume-Level backup and pick all the volumes you would not lose your data, it should be the same backup as you had with Entire Computer backup mode.

Thanks!