Backup Mode Question

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Backup Mode Question

Veeam Logoby rmcdonald75 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi All,

What is there a difference between Entire Computer backup vs Volume Level Backup? I want to backup the entire computer but there is two NAS Volumes i don't want to be backed up and it does not look like i can exclude these two NAS volumes in the Entire backup job so i am going to pick Volume level but if i was to do a full system restore i want to make sure i can recover the server using the Volume backup.

Thanks
Ray
rmcdonald75
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Ray McDonald

Re: Backup Mode Question

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi Ray,
There is no way to exclude the volumes if you choose "Entire computer" mode, in your case you need the volume-level backup from where you can perform the desired restore once you need it.
You may also want to backup system state data.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 385 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Hi,
two NAS Volumes i don't want to be backed up

If you are referring to external volumes being mapped in your OS most likely they won’t be included in the backup. VAW (VEB) does not support external drives as a source, however, iSCSI mounted volume is the only type of external devices that can be included in the backup.
i am going to pick Volume level but if i was to do a full system restore i want to make sure i can recover the server using the Volume backup

Make sure you have operating system volume and system reserved/UEFI partition checked – then Bare Metal Recovery will work.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 433 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby rmcdonald75 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:57 am

Hi there,

Yes the external volumes are ISCSI so it picked them up. I will have to see if System State was an option i dont remember seeing it during volume based job. I just found the check mark to show system and hidden volumes. I will have to try to do a BMR to a VM soon.
rmcdonald75
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Ray McDonald

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Ray,

Thanks for the clarification!
I will have to see if System State was an option i dont remember seeing it during volume based job

If you go to file level backup you will see this option.
I just found the check mark to show system and hidden volumes.

That should work.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 433 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows