Backup Policy Based on a Number of Backups?

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Backup Policy Based on a Number of Backups?

Veeam Logoby TechnicGeek » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:02 pm

Dima P. wrote:Correct. VEB takes into account not calendar days but days on which backup files were successfully created.

That clears it up. Do you plan on adding calendar days retention policy or number of backups retention policy?
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby JaxIsland7575 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:02 pm

I am curious what your use case is for calendar days over successful backups? For me I would rather know how many backups I have rather than what day the job was run. Number of backups retention policy, I believe that is a different way of saying what VEB already does. It counts the number of successful backups against the retention policy to know when to start removing old ones.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
JaxIsland7575
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 98 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:50 am

Number of backups should be a perfect fit if you're backing up a server or any mission critical application.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby janezk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:35 pm

Dima P. wrote:Correct. VEB takes into account not calendar days but days on which backup files were successfully created.

This terminology in use by Veeam, is not among the best or luckiest choises. I also had to think twice and do some googling before i understood what they reaaly ment...
Would be better to use the same terminology, that we are used to in VBR...

BR Janez
janezk
Influencer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Janez K

Veeam Logoby TechnicGeek » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Dima P. wrote:If the number of restore points on disk is less than job’s retention restore points won’t be merged into full backup. To make sure we are on the same page regarding retention logic, kindly, take a loot at this Help Center article.

It didn't remove in my case later as I found. I had 1 original + 14 incrementals and even changed number of days of backup policy from 14 to 8. Don't know if making this change is applicable in the process but it didn't make the difference.

I was expecting main backup integrate obsolete backups after deleting them if they outside of policy threshold but it wasn't happening. FYI - I deleted 5 incrementals and what happened was that new main backup file created in addition to one original. The last incremental was in August and recent backup was done at the end of October. The backup has a size of almost same as original backup. I thought there should only be 1 original backup, modified as time goes, integrating obsolete backups into itself. I also used "Backup to Rotated Drives" feature additionally. I would make "Standalone Full Backup" once per month on different external drive. Does this sound like it's a bug? What if this confused VEEAM's retention policy as I was switching between?
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:21 pm

Don't know if making this change is applicable in the process but it didn't make the difference.

Retention is applied at the end of backup job run, so to force the immediate merge you should start a backup job
I deleted 5 incrementals and what happened was that new main backup file created in addition to one original.

That is expected. You deleted the latest incrementals manually but metadata and backup database were not update. Job started a health check and thought that backup chain was corrupted, thus made a new full backup.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 478 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows