Backup Policy Based on a Number of Backups?

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Backup Policy Based on a Number of Backups?

Veeam Logoby TechnicGeek » Sat May 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Hello,

I wanted to remove some of incremental backups because space is limited and I have many getting backed up throughout the month. I later learned that removing either one of incrementals or base backup would break the chain and I will not be able to restore when required. However here's the reply to question I found by staff:
If I was to backup ONLY the VBK and VBM file to tape, would this be enough to recover the VM in the event of a disaster? Is it necessary to have the VRB files as well?

No, .vbk file will be enough for recovering VM from it, should any disaster happen.

So I can still remove incrementals and restoration will work, provided base backup is not removed of course?

It would be good to have backup policy option for based on a desired quantity of backups rather than time period. Is this option planned for release?

Thanks
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Re: Backup Policy Based on a Number of Backups?

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sat May 14, 2016 10:45 pm

Hello TechnicGeek and welcome to the community!
TechnicGeek wrote:So I can still remove incrementals and restoration will work, provided base backup is not removed of course?

Restoration will work, but from 1 restore point only(the day when the .vbk was created). If you want to restore from time when incremental backups were created - don`t delete them.
TechnicGeek wrote:It would be good to have backup policy option for based on a desired quantity of backups rather than time period. Is this option planned for release?

Thanks for the feedback!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 404 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby TechnicGeek » Sun May 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Shestakov wrote:Restoration will work, but from 1 restore point only(the day when the .vbk was created). If you want to restore from time when incremental backups were created - don`t delete them.

Does deleting only the latest incremental still break the chain? If I backed up last week and decided that there were no new changes or changes worthy of backing up since last incremental, can I delete last incremental and still expect all previous incrementals to work when restoring?
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon May 16, 2016 10:52 am

Yes, if you delete the last backup, older once will work, but you may have problems with next backups since the information about the file you are going to delete will remain in database and the next job run will create Full backup.
By the way, why do you want to delete the increment?
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TechnicGeek » Tue May 17, 2016 6:15 am

Shestakov wrote:Yes, if you delete the last backup, older once will work, but you may have problems with next backups since the information about the file you are going to delete will remain in database and the next job run will create Full backup.
By the way, why do you want to delete the increment?

I mentioned that in previous question. I want flexibility in managing backups due to external hard drive space limitation that I use to backup data. For risk management I also do backups with other software.
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue May 17, 2016 10:32 am

If you have a lack of repository space, deleting the last increment is not the best solution, I would recommend to decrease the retention instead
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TechnicGeek » Tue May 17, 2016 7:09 pm

With retention of incrementals, is incremental deleted only when new incremental is about to be created or as long as Veeam runs in the background and detects external hard drive plugged in?
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue May 17, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi Israel,

Merge of the incremental restore point into full backup is performed at the end of backup job. Kindly, take a look at Backup Retention Policy Help Center article for more details.

If you are using the USB device as a target, you might be interested in the Backup to Rotated Drives functionality in conjunction with 'When backup target is connected' backup event.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 448 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue May 17, 2016 9:37 pm

Yes, the oldest restore point will be deleted only when new one is created with no errors. So in fact you need space for an additional increment.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TechnicGeek » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:31 am

Shestakov wrote:Yes, the oldest restore point will be deleted only when new one is created with no errors. So in fact you need space for an additional increment.

I have backups backdating to the middle of May and they are not being deleted, despite 14-day retention policy:

TechnicGeek
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:36 am

TechnicGeek,

According to the recovery wizard screenshot you have less than 14 restore points in your backup chain. Is that correct?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TechnicGeek » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:06 pm

Correct.

BTW who is Israel?
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:55 pm

If the number of restore points on disk is less than job’s retention restore points won’t be merged into full backup. To make sure we are on the same page regarding retention logic, kindly, take a loot at this Help Center article.

My bad - I copied your name from account details but did not realize you specified only your location. Sorry about that.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TechnicGeek » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:18 pm

Retention policy is not measured in a number of restore points. It is measured in a number of days, which in this case is no more than 14.
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:25 pm 1 person likes this post

Correct. VEB takes into account not calendar days but days on which backup files were successfully created.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows