Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
govi
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Govinda Naik

Backup solution for Remote user using Veeam Agent for Windows

Post by govi »

Hi Team,

Could you please let us know what is the best option to backup Remote users Laptop. We have got couple of laptop (around 11 to 15) laptop which are roaming user. Meaning they never gets connected to Corporate network and works on offshore. So managing backup of this laptop is challenging. Most of the cases they have internet connection which is no quite fast to upload and download data but this something which we can work out and get at least initial data uploaded on cloud connect or one drive for business.

I have tried cloud connect and One Drive for Business option to upload backup data but it takes more time to run initial backup( 100 GB data took 2 days) and I think its not very practical to keep laptop in standby for 2 days or keep laptop without disconnecting from network. So do you have any good Cloud connect service provider(Amazon, Azure may be) which you have experience which offer decent upload speed. If initial upload takes 3 to 4 hours then its acceptable but 2 days not at all acceptable.

Providing user external hard disk is not an good option since most of the time, users forget to connect external hard disk and IT need to step in and remind them to connect hard disk whenever you get backup failure email from Veeam Agent.

Is anyone from this forum has came up with any solution for this type of scenario?

Thanks,

Govi
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Backup solution for Remote user using Veeam Agent for Windows

Post by ejenner »

try to minimize the amount of important data they keep on their laptop. What takes up 100GB on one laptop which has to be backed up? Maybe you find all that's required is the My Documents folder and it's only 2GB?
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi,

Yes, you are right. So I am trying to segregate data now but still data size will be somewhere around 20 to 25 GB Including OS and Important data files.

In this case also its going to take time to upload data, may be few days, Since they are remote user OS also becomes important, in case laptop crashes then we should be in position to restore OS. Lets say suppose Hard disk failure and we replaced with new hard disk. Probability is too less of this kind of scenario but still..

Thanks,

Govi Naik
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Veeam Agent for Windows workstation license doent have option to exclude certain file type like .mp3,mov,flv and so on. I guess this option only available in Server Edition license.

Thanks,

Govi
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hey Govi,

Have you checked this article in the User Guide which describes how to exclude a certain extension or file? Thanks!
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi,

Yes, I looked at the option but backup is going to be little bit slower as mentioned in Veeam agent console, so I was not really not keen to use this option but now i think worth to try this option and see how it goes.

But good thought to exclude files which are not really necessary to business. Logic says if its business then laptop/desktop should have common file type excel,power point,word etc etc and it cannot be in GB's unless we have .mp3, .mov and other files.

Thanks,
Govi