Backup to B&R - Seed backup copy job

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Backup to B&R - Seed backup copy job

Veeam Logoby HMwkr » Thu May 14, 2015 6:27 pm

You understand correctly. Your jetlag is causing self-doubt, not confusion :D
HMwkr
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu May 14, 2015 6:31 pm

Lol :-)

In that case, your users won't suffer from it. They will do their day-to-day backups to that "local" repository and the backup copy job will not interfere with that, at all. Now it is difficult to guess what your ratio will be, but I ask you to don't believe me and test out for yourself (maybe with your own PC) and do this (make sure you use the populate cache feature!). The results will be fantastic (did it myself and got 36x which is pretty cool in my book). And the results will only get better when there are more PCs (think about it, a lot of your PC backups will be exactly the same...).

I know it isn't seeding, but you will be surprised by the results. But again, don't believe me... See for yourself ;-)

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 360 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby HMwkr » Thu May 14, 2015 6:38 pm

Um, that's not the problem.

Endpoint backups run to local repository X at night. All good. Backup copy job runs later at night copying to remote repository Y. I need to reorganise remote repositories, so I moved the remote backup files to repository Z then found I couldn't map the backup copy job to that repository Z. So The next time the backup copy job runs it will copy the entire backup across the WAN, which even with acceleration and caching, will hammer our internet connection so users will be severely impacted for days.

I could run the first backup copy job to repository Z at a weekend - but it wouldn't fit into one weekend, and the other main data backups run at the weekend also soaking the WAN.

Is that clearer?
HMwkr
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu May 14, 2015 6:40 pm

OK,

Now I understand it completely. In that case I have not much more to add... (besides sorry and it is a v1 product, standalone, but we take all that feedback into account...) :-(

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby HMwkr » Thu May 14, 2015 6:41 pm

And Yes, I should have read the Release Notes :(
HMwkr
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri May 15, 2015 5:20 am

Yes you should :-D (not that you are the only one that hasn't read them ;-))

Actually that is something I wished more people would do... Our R&D team puts a massive amount of time and effort in that and this is one of the reasons why working for Veeam was so attractive for me. Documentation is not seen as a waste of R&D time but seen as something very important. Funny enough we almost never get feedback on that :-)
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby fafa24 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:44 pm

I just came to this thread from a google search I have exactly the same problem. I like to seed a backup copy job from Endpoint and realized there is no mapping feature. I have other backup copy job to seed from VMware and they work just fine. I hope for Endpoint backup copy job mapping a seed will be a feature in version 9.
fafa24
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:17 am

I can’t say “yes it will” but I am allowed to say “yes it might” :mrgreen:
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 435 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Kuhnster » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:38 pm

Please ADD this functionality. We are a Veeam Cloud Connect partner and there are times when our clients have physical servers to back up. I have a 7.6TB server that I'm backing up with Endpoint, but I can't seed it. Please consider this in the near future. Thank you!
Kuhnster
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Kuhn

Veeam Logoby mr_iang » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:17 pm

I found a solution which has worked for this. Here's a brief outline.

Get your backups running from Veeam Endpoint to the client's on-premise B&R server.
Create a copy of the backup files -ie your seed, on to a portable medium.
Back up the B&R server configuration to the poratble medium.

Install a B&R server on a network local (or with fast connectivity) to your CloudConnect server.
Restore the configuration from your client's B&R server, along with the seed files on to this temporary server.
Set up a backup copy job to your CloudConnect server, let that run.
Once the first job completes, create a configuration of your temporary B&R server.

Send that config backup to your client's on-premise server, restore it over the existing configuration.
Voila, run a backup, it will copy to your CC server keeping the seeded data as your base iamge.

Obviously this isn't a detailed how-to, but I can tell you that this solution works. We seeded a couple TB of data from a client on a connection that would have required weeks to seed, in the matter of 2 days.

Iang
mr_iang
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Gorman

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows