Backup to B&R - Seed backup copy job

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Backup to B&R - Seed backup copy job

Veeam Logoby frankive » Mon May 04, 2015 7:18 am

If we backup a workstation to a local B6R server and then use backup copy job to a cloud connect provider. Can we seed this backup like we usually do with other backup copy jobs?
frankive
Service Provider

Liked: 86 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Re: Backup to B&R - Seed backup copy job

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon May 04, 2015 9:36 am

Frank,
There should be no limitations for regular VBR behavior :wink:
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 448 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby danielchung » Fri May 08, 2015 9:32 am

I'm testing the same thing that VEB->VBR repository->Backup copy to offsite. It works by using Backup Copy to copy backup offsite, but there is no "map backup" function for an Endpoint Backup Copy job that allows putting the VBK file as seed.

Looks like it is a missing function or any possible workaround can be provided?
danielchung
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel Chung

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri May 08, 2015 3:14 pm

Daniel,

I'm afraid I don't understand your question completely. If you take a backup with VEB to a VBR repository, and then use that backup (from the repository) to see it offsite, that should work? Or am I misunderstanding you here...

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 365 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby danielchung » Mon May 11, 2015 1:42 am

I have two repositories, one at headquarter and one in local office. In local office, we'd use VEB to backup endpoints' to the local repository. This simple VEB-> VBR works. Further, we'd like to use backup copy to offsite the backup from local repository to the repository at headquarter.
To avoid heavy load on WAN link for copying the first VBK file, we want to manually transfer the VBK file from local to HQ and make it as seed for Endpoint backup copy job. But during the setup, I don't see there is "map backup" function similar that we used to do in VMware backup copy job.
danielchung
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon May 11, 2015 3:18 am

Hi Daniel,

Could you follow the procedure in this KB: http://www.veeam.com/kb1856 and see if it works?

As far as I know that should do the trick but I can be mistaken. If not, I will follow-up further with the teams

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby danielchung » Mon May 11, 2015 4:57 am

Thanks Mike.

Have read that KB and actually I've been using the backup copy job for VMware for a while. However, when creating backup copy job for Endpoint, in the target tab, there is no "Map Backup" option allowing to go further to select seed.

Seems like seeding is missing in VEB-VBR integration.
danielchung
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon May 11, 2015 6:00 am

Daniel,

I can't test this in my setup so I will try to contact the teams and see what they can tell

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby HMwkr » Thu May 14, 2015 12:41 pm

I have just hit exactly the same issue. Map Backup does not appear for a Backup Copy Job for an Endpoint Backup.

Which, as the backup is about a terabyte, and is on a repository at the other end of a WAN link which runs at just 5Mbps, is a bit of a bummer ! :D

Case #00917915 refers.
HMwkr
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu May 14, 2015 2:44 pm

Gentleman,

I received word that this is not supported by design

Sorry

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby HMwkr » Thu May 14, 2015 3:05 pm

What?!

Good grief.

Well that's thrown a major roadblock in front of all of my plans for reorganising our backup resources over the next month.

Not happy.
HMwkr
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby HMwkr » Thu May 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Veeam's response: " it may be best to run the backup copy to another local repository if at all possible"

My response: This renders offsite backups of endpoints effectively unworkable, with endpoint integration. I'll have to revert to backing up endpoints to a separate Windows share, then backing that up to a local repository, then running a copy job to a remote repository. So all the time and effort I have expended in setting up endpoint integration has been *completely* wasted !

Have I missed something? How are the rest of you making offsite backups of your endpoints?
HMwkr
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu May 14, 2015 6:09 pm

Hey,

One question, do you have Enterprise plus? In that case I would advise you to use the WAN acceleration and use the populate cache functionality
This will be very effective for your bandwidth

Cheers,

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby HMwkr » Thu May 14, 2015 6:18 pm

Thanks. Yes, I am already using WAN acceleration, and the cache is populated.

It would still take several days to backup to a new remote repository location, during which time our users would be severely inconvenienced. And I can't even seed a new location. So I am stuck with this endpoint backup on a specific repository.
HMwkr
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu May 14, 2015 6:22 pm

I think I start to believe I am misunderstanding you (if so, I deeply apologize and blame jetlag for it ;-))

What do you exactly try to achieve? You take a backup of your endpoint, store it to a local repository, and then do a backup copy job to a secondary repository on a remote location... Is that correct? Or do you want to do something else?

Let me know (and again sorry if I am confused here...)

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows