Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
payam124
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Payam P

backup to VeraCrypt

Post by payam124 »

Hi
I just installed Veeam agent for windows and mount my external drive which is encrypted using Veracrypt and wanted to backup my windows to this drive.
I selected "Local Storage" as the destination but in the next window it didn't show me the volume for my external disk in the list of "local drives". I tried to browse and open/select a folder from the this external disk (it was possible to select it through the "Browse" option. but in this case, when I pressed "next" Veeam said: "Specify Location"

any comment?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: backup to VeraCrypt

Post by Dima P. »

Hello payam124,

The problem is not with VeraCrypt. Veeam Agent for Windows currently does not support USB devices as a source for backup and, as a result of this limitation, you cannot select the files residing on your USB device.
payam124
Lurker
Full Name: Payam P

Post by payam124 »

USB Drive encrypted with VeraCrypt is not the source of backup. it is the destination.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Payam,

Sorry for the confusion. Try to unlock your drive (consider that it should be unlocked during backup job run), go to job settings > local storage, browser for a folder inside the drive you would like to use for a backup. Then make sure that this folder is set in location text box and hit Next. If that does not work, please share a screenshot of your local storage step (you can send the link to me via PM). Thanks!
dreamteam
Novice

Post by dreamteam »

Hi Dima/Veeam!

I have the same problem as payam124: I cannot backup use a VeraCrypt-encrypted volume (my entire external USB drive) as a destination. It seems that Veeam does not consider the VeraCrypt volume to be a USB drive but a regular local drive, and therefore the drive does not appear in the Configure Backup/Local Storage list or on Manage registered storage devices screen. (But a USB drive encrypted with Microsoft's BitLocker seems to work!) I am using Veeam Agent for WIndows v2.1.0.423 Free Edition.

Is there any way this could be supported in a future release?

Thanks for a really great product!

EDIT: I just found this thread about workarounds using shares and symlinks... I suppose those are still the only way to go?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi dreamteam,

Unfortunately support for VeraCrypt is not planned, but shared folder and symlink workaround should work.
dreamteam
Novice

Post by dreamteam »

Thanks for your reply, Dima!

Would it be feasible to change the way Veeam works, so that non-USB drives could be selected in Manage registered storage devices? It would make the feature more flexible... :roll: