Backup USB Drives

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Backup USB Drives

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:08 pm

Hello,
Thanks for the feedback!
I would just inform Veeam that i am looking same functionalities as "shades0fblack".

We want to ask you to go a little further and share a use case you are going to cover with such functionality - it might help us to push this feature request further, so thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby tao.yang » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:54 am

I also need this feature if I am going to be using this product for backing up my PC. I'm using a Intel NUC with couple of USB 3 drives as my primary storage devices. The backup destination would either be USB drives or a network share hosted on a NAS.
tao.yang
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Tao Yang

Veeam Logoby mhg » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:49 am

Actually tao.yang has exactly described my needs: to backup of USB HDD to Synology NAS SMB share (using file level backup).
mhg
Novice

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:30 am 1 person likes this post

Guys,
Want to clarify some things with you. How common is installing the operating system on the external USB device, because in my understanding its only used as the data dumpster. Thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mhg » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:19 am

Correct (at least in my practice). I don't install OS on my USB drive.
mhg
Novice

Veeam Logoby churos » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:11 pm

Hello,
as well I intercede for adding functionality backup external USB hard drive

On the road I working with an external 1TB hard drive, and at home I need back up him as well as a laptop for home NAS (Synology). Now I have to run the scheduled task with scripted robocopy and 7zip
churos
Lurker

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:29 pm

churos,
Thinking out loud - backing up the data from your USB device will prevent you from instantly accessing these files. File level recovery is quick but you have to run it every time you need to get a single file
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby nchand » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Would just like to add my desire also for the ability to backup external USB devices. I use a Drobo 5D USB3 DAS as a file storage device. Looks like I cannot set this up as a backup source with the current version.
nchand
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:34 pm

nchand,
Can you elaborate where you want to store this backed up device? Thanks
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby nchand » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:33 pm

Here is a thread I started, offers info on my setup.

veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/3tb-offsite-repository-t29718.html

Basically, I have a fileserver hosting data on a USB 3 DAS RAID device (Drobo 5D). I want to be able to backup this device, but it does not seem possible with VEB under current VEB configuration features.
nchand
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Thanks for clarification. A side question – does this Drobo support iSCSI? If yes, you can mount the volume via iSCSI initiator and then add it to the backup's source volumes.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby nchand » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:19 pm

No, this is a direct attached storage device. Only USB3 and thunderbolt. I have several users with external USB storage devices who would really benefit from VEB too.
nchand
Influencer

Veeam Logoby jowidi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:15 am

Veeam Endpoint Backup is a great product, especially considering the fact that it is free. So I was really surprised to find that it cannot be used to backup external USB devices. This use case becomes more and more common as many users now buy laptops when they are forced to replace their aging desktop computers. These machines have many advantages but a lot of them lack the capacity to store the huge amounts of photos, videos and music files that are now commonplace in many households.

So it is not unusual to see the combo 'fast laptop with SSD drive and big external USB drive'. I think veeam should consider adding support for backing up external USB devices to Endpoint Backup. Quite a number of laptop users (myself included) would appreciate that.
jowidi
Novice

Full Name: Johannes Widi

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:28 am

@Dima probably we should allow backing up external hard drives for advanced users via volume level backup. Not selected by default, but can be checked as well.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Veeam Logoby mhg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:40 pm

Actually I need to exclude some large files from backup so I'd prefer to use file level backup than volume level for my USB drive in order to shorten backup time.
mhg
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows