Backup USB Drives

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Backup USB Drives

Veeam Logoby pio » Wed May 06, 2015 2:41 pm

Just tried to backup my laptop, but EB does not allow me to backup external usb drives. Is there any way to force the backup of external hard drives?
pio
Lurker

Liked: never

Re: Backup USB Drives

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed May 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi pio,
I don’t want to upset you, but backup of the external devices is not supported in v1.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 418 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby pio » Thu May 07, 2015 5:01 am

Why not support it? Every competitor supports this. This isn't such an unusual use case that people use external drives as permanent data storage.
pio
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu May 07, 2015 11:45 am

people use external drives as permanent data storage

Makes sense, thanks. We will discuss it with the team
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby shades0fblack » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:22 am

Hi Dima,

My end users are quite unique as in they have attached USB drivers that are 1TB or 2TB with Geological mining data.
Data is on a server and sync'd when then can, but they frequently travel with this data in the field and naturally accumulate and create data.

I was hoping Veeam Endpoint backup would allow me to select these drives as well, but alas it seems not having searched forums and come across this post.

Happily be a customer that would pay for this software/feature in another release/update.
Veeam end point just fits so well into our organisation, I'm loathed to start looking at competitors alternatives.
shades0fblack
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: shadesofblack

Veeam Logoby shades0fblack » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:03 am

Sent reply to quickly, additionally this feature would be rolled out to sites in Argentina, Australia, Canada and Guyana.

In the mean time it is still being tested for BMR (bare metal recovery) :)
shades0fblack
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:39 am

Hi,

I haven't received news yet about this feature as of today but I know it is on the table for sure to look at it. Can I ask an additional question? When you would be backing up the PC and the USB device, what target would you choose?

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 342 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby shades0fblack » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:25 am

@Mike,

Hi Mike, Good to hear this might be on the cards soon!
Currently we are testing with view to rolling out for BMR.

If this feature was available to include external USB drive, we would do the following.

Backups would be done daily at 10am when backup target is connected with 7 days of restore points.
In our environment target for backups are Veeam Backup and Replication repository.

By doing it this way key staff members could ensure there data was not only safe, but could have a member of global IT team to restore missing data and/or complete laptop.
shades0fblack
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:27 am

Hi,

Good feedback, those type of scenario's that you (all) describe makes it easier for us to understand what and how it is being used and help us a lot in planning

Greatly appreciated

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby shades0fblack » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:30 am

Thanks Mike, as I said don't want to go to another vendor like acronis who do include this feature.
Really the key part is if this was available having this level if backup visibility across the globe, that's just stellar!
shades0fblack
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Hey shades0fblack,
Just wanted to leave a reply here as well: we will get backup to this feature discussions (I mean internal discussions with the DEV and QA teams) after the upcoming Endpoint update. Thanks for all your use cases - helps a lot!
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby shades0fblack » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:40 pm

That's great news as I'm sure many others will appreciate this feature after endpoint update.
shades0fblack
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby mcsuran23 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:32 pm

Hey there Devs! This is great news that usb support is on the table. I would like to add a few things. After speaking with a Veeam support member, he explained that you utilize Microsoft's VSS snapshots which can only be used on SCSI devices. After researching VSS a bit more, I found this:

"Can VSS create shadow copies of non-NTFS volumes?

Yes. However, persistent shadow copies can be made only for NTFS volumes. In addition, at least one volume mounted on the system must be an NTFS volume."

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 36(v=ws.10).aspx

That is a little confusing to me since I read that as usb support already being supported, but with limited functionality. Hopefully one of the Devs can shed some more light on that?

I would personally be backing up an internal HDD and USB memory stick to an external HDD connected via USB.

Look forward to your response. Thanks!

Mat
mcsuran23
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mat

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:50 am

Mat,

I am not sure where you read that USB support is there already... with limited functionality. We support USB device as a target, but we don't backup anything from a USB device.

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby OneGH » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi All,

I would just inform Veeam that i am looking same functionalities as "shades0fblack".
I will use Veeam EndPoint Backup in the same way.

Thank's for this great product, with this additional option i will phase out Symantec Desktop and Laptop option.

BR,
Geoffroy
OneGH
Lurker

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Geoffroy Hallard

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows