Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
hpoperator
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andreas

Backup with Veeam to another cloud possible (IONOS - HIDRIVE)?

Post by hpoperator »

Hello,

unfortunately my english is not really sufficient to communicate here without a translator, so I use one. I apologize for this circumstance.

I am looking for a pure data backup option and a friend recommended Veeam to me.
It seems to be a very powerful tool, unfortunately I don't know exactly if it's right for my backup strategy.

I have files and folders on both my computer and my NAS (mounted as an SMB drive in my Windows 10) that I want to back up to a cloud.
I want the backup to be incremental and on a rotational basis.
So far I have only seen posts that address OneDrive and no other cloud.
I've read that backing up to OneDrive doesn't seem to be practical and Veeam is expected to discontinue support in early 2022 because of this.

Can I create a backup on another cloud with Veeam (protocols like (S)FTP/FTPS, WebDAV, SMB/CIFS, rsync, SCP and Git are included with this cloud)?

Best regards
Andy
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup with Veeam to another cloud possible (IONOS - HIDRIVE)?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Yes, Veeam Agent for Windows can back up to OneDrive today, but this will be discontinued and replaced by direct backup to object storage (S3 / Azure blob). So for the Windows 10 machine that would technically work in 2022. But not for the mounted SMB share. We do consistent backup with VSS snapshots. So mounted shares are out of scope for Veeam Agent for Windows (the Linux agent could do file-based backup without snapshots, but that doesn't help in your case).

As for today, I believe some other tool can solve your requirements better. I don't have any names for you, but during my study times (15 years ago), there already existed copy tools to literally every protocol... so I'm there is still software available to do that.

Best regards,
Hannes