Backups Fail writing to Veeam B&R Repository

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Backups Fail writing to Veeam B&R Repository

Veeam Logoby cfvonner » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:13 pm

I just updated my Veeam B&R 8.0 server to update 2 to add support for VEB. I installed the final 1.0 release of VEB on both a desktop PC and a laptop (Dell Precision M4700 connected to docking station with wired ethernet connectivity). I have a repository created specifically for VEB to use, and have a domain account I use for the VEB credentials. I was able to configure both computers to point to the Veeam repository and create backup jobs. However, when the jobs run, they fail with "Error: Completion timeout occured". If I go browse the folder on the Veeam server where the repository sits, I can see job-specific folders and the .vbm files inside. While the job is running, I can also see a .vbk (I think) created, but it disappears when the job fails.

Any idea what is wrong?
cfvonner
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Carl Von Stetten

Re: Backups Fail writing to Veeam B&R Repository

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:16 pm

Carl,

Did you set the permissions on the repository?

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:43 pm

Mike is asking about this setting, for your convienice here is the link > http://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/10 ... sions.html
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1106 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby cfvonner » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:45 pm

Yes, I did set the permissions. I also went back and changed the permission to "Everyone", but that still didn't work. For the moment, I switched the backup to write to a network share (which is actually on the same server as the repository I'm trying to use) - writing to network share works fine.

-Carl V.
cfvonner
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Carl,

In that case, please try to change the setting again, then take the backup and create a case so our support can look at the logs.

Post the case ID here and keep us informed

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby cfvonner » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:59 pm

The case number is 00891991.

Thanks,
-Carl V.
cfvonner
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby cfvonner » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:16 pm

I changed the laptop backup to use network share too (for now). It is backing up strangely slow. This is a Precision M4700 with two SSDs (one SATA, one mSATA), docked (so on external power and a wired 1Gb network connection). I'm seeing throughput of 2MB/s right now, whereas I saw 59MB/s from my desktop PC.

Not sure what to think.
-Carl V.
cfvonner
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby cfvonner » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:33 pm

OK, speed improved at some point. I just looked again after it finished backing up the C: drive and the listed read rate was 23 MB/s. It's currently reading the D: drive at 34 MB/s.
-Carl V.
cfvonner
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:02 pm

Carl,
Regarding the VBR I suggest to wait for the logs investigation results. As for the shared folder target – could you double check that wireless network is not used during backup (possibly, disable it during your tests)? Additionally, you can disable backup throttling in the Control Panel > Settings – it should give you visible performance improvement.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 442 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Logan_Wolverine » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi guys,

I have exactly the same issue.
I'm running Veeam 8.0.0.2021 B&R on the server side and 1.0.1.1954 Endpoint BAckup. Both in eval mode.
I was very interested by Endpoint. It works super fine with a network share on a Synology NAS. But as soon as I integrated it with B&R it failed with the connection time out.
It keep retrying again and gain and fails.
The idea of having the device endpoint bakcup jobs known by B&R server is great for an infrastructure lead. But as of now it does not work.
Logan_Wolverine
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Franck

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Hello Franck,
But as soon as I integrated it with B&R it failed with the connection time out.

You mean you were able to point endpoint backup job to the VBR without any issues - all credential checks and repositories were populated successfully? Could any firewall or router between Endpoint and VBR cause connectivity issues? Is the Endpoint PC accessible from the VBR machine?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 442 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Logan_Wolverine » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:25 pm

Hello Dima,

yes my end device successfully registered to VBR. I'm used the Admin credentials on the server side and I see the job in the backup section of VBR. And Admin account as full permission on backup repository (as far as I can tell).
I'm in my corporate network. I don't know if another firewall could be the issue. But I don't think so. First I could do the same with my NAS and no issue. Second the firewall on the VBR server is disable.

here is something new: Is the Endpoint PC accessible from the VBR machine? Could you explain ? What is required on the endpoint PC so that it can communicate in both ways?

Franck
Logan_Wolverine
Novice

Veeam Logoby Logan_Wolverine » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:37 pm

I don't want to mix up the post but another to note. When I created my endpoint job, endpoint was not able to see backup repository I created. Only the one created by default by VBR.
Logan_Wolverine
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:53 pm

Logan, that means you didn't set the permissions on your repository... See http://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/10/integrate_permissions.html
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:53 pm

Logan_Wolverine wrote:endpoint was not able to see backup repository I created. Only the one created by default by VBR.

Yes, the only difference that can cause this is the permissions list configured on the backup repository. Can you confirm that have the same security settings on the repositories?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1106 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows