Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
bboklewski
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bob B

Backups Failing: does not have enough free disk space

Post by bboklewski »

I have an issue where my backups are failing because of HP recovery partitions are low on space. Nothing is ever added or removed from this partition as it is for recovery. The error I am seeing is: Error: Volume HP_RECOVERY (E:) does not have enough free disk space to create VSS snapshot. I have read somewhere here you can just remove the drive letter, but Windows 10 won't let me do it for whatever reason. I really don't want to have to delete the recovery partition. What are my options? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backups Failing: does not have enough free disk space

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Bob,

Are you using Entire PC backup mode? If yes, you can switch to volume level backup and uncheck the HP_RECOVERY (E:) from the source volumes. That should solve your issue
bboklewski
Novice

Post by bboklewski »

Is there a downside to doing volume level backup that I wouldn't get with Entire Pc besides the fact that I won't get the HP Recovery partition? Just want to make sure I am not missing something. Also, couple more questions here.

1. Assuming the restore points are referring to the amount of full/incremental backups correct?
2. Lastly, what determines when a full backup is taken, because it seems sometimes I can have two full backups end up on my backup (NAS) for one endpoint.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Entire PC backup equals volume level backup with all the volumes included. One volume is failing and that’s just a recovery partition, so it’s safe to exclude it from the backup source.
Assuming the restore points are referring to the amount of full/incremental backups correct?
Yes. To be absolutely on the same page take a look at this help center article - Backup Retention Policy
hat determines when a full backup is taken, because it seems sometimes I can have two full backups end up on my backup (NAS) for one endpoint.
The only backup mode VEB supports - forever forward incremental. It means that you will always have one full backup at the beginning of backup chain, the rest restore points are incrementals
bboklewski
Novice

Post by bboklewski »

Thanks for the info! What would happen if one of the files becomes corrupt in the backup chain, does that mean I can't restore my system, because it will break the whole backup?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

This situation is possible only in case of hardware corruption (when backup file is allocated on the bad block of the volume). In case backup job detects backup chain corruption it starts a new backup chain with new full backup. Restore might be possible from restore points made before the corrupted increment.