Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
marcio.ligi
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcello

Bare Metal Backup Recovery Problem

Post by marcio.ligi »

Hi there I have a backup in my external drive and I need to make a bare metal recovery on my new PC.
I followed the instructions, so I have a NTFS partition in the external HD where I put the backup, there are two folders, one containing the Recovery Media ISO image, the other containing the JOB backup created previously.
Now I should boot BIOS from my external HD, so I changed the boot order in the BIOS and set my HD as first option.
When the PC restarts it would load windows again, so it won't boot from HD.
What could be the issue here? the Recovery Media ISO file must be under the HD root? or it can be in a folder as well?
I have no idea, BIOS seems to be set correctly.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Bare Metal Backup Recovery Problem

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Recovery Media ISO should be written on a disk with boot record in order for machine to boot from it. Having an ISO on a removable drive will not solve the puzzle.
You can do it with a tool like Microsoft USB\DVD tool or 3rd parties like Rufus. Be careful here as most ISO imaging tools do repartition target disk, thus deleting all data from it prior to unpacking iso content on it. Ideally you want a spare USB stick for it, make it bootable with Rufus unpacking our Recovery Media ISO on it, and boot your system from that USB stick.

/Cheers!
marcio.ligi
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcello

Post by marcio.ligi »

Ok so I should burn it in a dvd?
then I keep the JOB folder in the external drive so I can then select the appropriate backup to restore correct?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Exactly! Removable media to boot from + media with backup files to restore from.
It doesn't have to be a DVD specifically, you can use USB Flash drive(more common nowadays?) to unpack iso. Make sure you are using right tool to write RM ISO, as it must be bootable(simple copy-paste of iso content to usb stick won't make it so).
/Cheers!
ender
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by ender »

There's a very good chance your external HDD will boot just fine if you mount the recovery ISO and just copy all the files to the HDD - no need to burn a CD.
iosman987
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: ios man

Post by iosman987 »

marcio.ligi wrote: Feb 19, 2021 9:56 am Ok so I should burn it in a dvd?
then I keep the JOB folder in the external drive so I can then select the appropriate backup to restore correct?

thanks my issue has been fixed.
https://t.me/pump_upp