Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jcofin13
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Bare metal recovery

Post by jcofin13 »

Running Veeam 11a.

I have my recovery media created for a pc that i need to do a bare metal restore on.

Ive got a hardened repo and i was thinking i could just export the backup via right clicking the backups-->disk-->my pc backup and choosing export backup to have it export a full vbk. I could then give that to the user trying to do the restore rather than trying to locate creds to use to access the hardened repo.

The thing is, if i do an export backup it will allow me to pick a restore point and according to the documentation the next screen in the wizard should allow me to pick a destination (a place to save the vbk either to the repo or do to a file share etc) That screen is not there. The wizard doesnt have this screen. It wants the reason for the export....and shows you a summary and the only option you have is "Finish"

My question is, where does it go and how do i get access to the vbk itself to give to the end user so they can do the restore? I must be missing something simple here. I havent clicked finish on the wizard since it isnt clear what its going to do or where it will place the file.

Here is the docs i was following. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
This screen shows you should have a "Target" area but mine doesnt..........just restore point........reason .......and summary.
Rydqvist
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Per-Olof Rydqvist

Re: Bare metal recovery

Post by Rydqvist »

That guide is for v12. The guide for v11 is different.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... izard.html
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi @jcofin13

Per-Olof is right on spot here. Choosing a destination for the export was introduced as a new feature in V12.

Please be aware, earlier versions of our Veeam Agent must be restored through the Veeam backup repository. Our Veeam agent cannot read the backup files metadata when it was copied from a Veeam backup repository to an external drive. With Veeam Agent v6 and VBR v12, we don't have this limitation. Metadata between Agent and VBR was made compatible to each other.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jcofin13
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Post by jcofin13 »

Thank you. I will review the guide for 11. I need to upgrade one of these days.

IF we have a hardened repo where we used one time use creds to set it up originally will we be able to read from the repo using the restore/boot media? IM almost certain it will prompt you for creds to access the repo as part of the restore process. I dont have the article up to confirm but i thought that is what i read.

Perhaps it just wants creds for a user that has full access to veeam and then by proxy will get access to the repo. I havent tried it yet and probably will do that today.