Bare Metal Restore: cannot connect to a backup server

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Bare Metal Restore: cannot connect to a backup server

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:06 pm

Roderik,
The credentials you used to set up the Endpoint Backup Permission to the VBR repository.

Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 417 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:40 am

I finally succesfully got through to the actual repository, once the backup starts I get the following error during restore though.
The VM is a blank VM, with a lot of storage space on the 2 disks needed to restore the backup of Windows Server 2012 R2.
I am attempting to do this in vCloud vDirector.

Not unimportant to note is the fact I get the following message right before I start the backup, which might have something to do with the problems I am experiencing while trying to execute the backup.
Any idea's on this?

Kind Regards,
Roderik
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:21 am

Sadly I cannot use the mouse in vCloud Director in this wizard, it is a bug in VMWare vCloud Director 5.6 where it is not possible to use the mouse without the installation of VMWare Tools. So it is not possible to expand the window and see the full error.
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:13 pm

RoderikdW,

That’s a pity: I see the error that even the restore logs were not transferred to the repository, can you check that please? If it was not saved, can you manually save it using the export log functionality of the recovery media (Main Screen > Tools) to file share? Thanks
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:14 pm

I sent you a PM with a link for the files!

Kind Regards,
Roderik
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:45 pm

Thanks, I’ve downloaded the logs and I still see the communication issue between the Recovery Media and VBR repository:

Code: Select all
[10.06.2015 18:11:22] <11> Error    Failed to connect to agent's endpoint '172.20.10.38:2505'. Host: 'LABS01VCC01'.
[10.06.2015 18:11:22] <11> Error    A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 172.20.10.38:2505 (System.Net.Sockets.SocketException)

If you confirm the needed ports are opened between repository and the said machine, I can advise to modify the ConnectByIPsTimeoutSec registry key like described in the post. Let me know if it helps.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks, I'll get to it as soon as possible!
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:00 pm

Opening the ports has not made a difference. I looked at the post you linked me, but it refers to SOFTWARE/Veeam Endpoint Backup. But my Veeam Cloud Connect Server does not have an end point backup folder in the registry. I am trying to restore from my VBR Repository, in which folder in registry should I make the new DWORD in this case?
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:52 pm

My bad the solution with the regkey indeed works only on the Endpoint machine’s end during the backup. QA team advised to temporary shutdown your firewalls between the VM and backup repository for testing purposes. If the restore fails again – there must be another error message in the logs.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:10 am

Alright thanks, I will try this!
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:04 am

still need to test the abovementioned, haven't had a chance to do it yet, but still on the case!
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:16 am

Hello RoderikdW,

Thanks for the heads up. No rush here, take your time – just do not forget to share the results with the community :wink:
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 am

Sadly I am not able to shut down the firewall between the 2 due to other machines. However opening all ports did not work either for both sides.
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Use VEB console to restore from local Repository

Veeam Logoby corby2112 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:30 pm

Hello,

I have created backups to a directly attached drive using VEB. If I do a backup to a folder on the attached drive, I can do a bare metal restore using VEB recovery without any problem.

I prefer to do my VEB backups to a B&R repository, also stored locally, so that I can make use of backup copy. I created the repository and can perform the backup without any problem.

However, when I try to do bare metal restore using VEB recovery disk, I cannot attach to the repository using the same credentials as used to backup to repository.

Using command prompt with the recovery media, I do an Netstat and do not see port 10001 as listening.

Any suggestions?
corby2112
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: YYZ

Re: Use VEB console to restore from local Repository

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi corby2112,

I cannot attach to the repository using the same credentials as used to backup to repository.

You get an error while connecting to the VBR or to the repository? Could you share the test of the error? Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows