Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
yorickdowne
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thorsten Behrens

Bare Metal Restore SMB share browsing - how?

Post by yorickdowne »

Howdy,

I am trying to understand why the "network neighborhood browsing" in bare metal restore doesn't work.

Network is without AD and has a workgroup called WORKGROUP
Backup is kept on FreeNAS 11.2-U3 called \\freenas, running Samba for the SMB share
Samba is configured to offer WSD (this is what the Win10 clients use) and, for testing with Bare Metal Restore, to participate in Local Master browser election. SMBv1 is turned off.

Despite all this, Bare Metal Restore does not "see" the FreeNAS server when browsing for it.
It is, however, able to connect when given the path manually: \\freenas\Backup\PC-Name

My question:
What does Bare Metal Restore use for browsing? Some form of NetBIOS? I'd have expected the local master election to work, then, but clearly not.
WSD doesn't seem to be supported, else I'd have expected the NAS to show up immediately.
Any pointers on how to configure Samba to "play nice" with Bare Metal Restore?
Any chance that Bare Metal Restore will gain WSD support?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Bare Metal Restore SMB share browsing - how?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Thorsten.
Samba is configured to offer WSD (this is what the Win10 clients use) and, for testing with Bare Metal Restore, to participate in Local Master browser election
Can you please clarify if anonymous access is configured on the said file share? Thank you!
yorickdowne
Novice

Post by yorickdowne »

Ah, good point! It is not. The share had anonymous access, and I took that away a while ago. I did enter the user ID needed to access the share.

I think I'm hearing: Authenticated access and share browsing don't go together. If using authenticated access, type the path in directly.

I can try this again with guest access configured.
yorickdowne
Novice

Post by yorickdowne »

I tested this with a guest-accessible share. Still no browsing; I can get to it when I'm typing the path in directly.

Oh well. I don't think I'll pursue this much further. This will resolve itself if (when?) Veeam's Bare Metal Recovery switches to something based on Win10, and turns on the services WSD relies upon, those being the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication".

NETBIOS browsing to Samba is notoriously unreliable; WSD browsing works fine as long as wsdd.py is running on the Samba side.