"BitLooker" in Endpoint Backup

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

"BitLooker" in Endpoint Backup

Veeam Logoby Rudolf » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Hi

Is there any plan/ possibility to bring "BitLooker" from Veeam B&R v9 to Endpoint Backup?

File exclusions from full image would be a huge +!

This is an amazing feature, but more for Endpoint backup where prioritized data is more crucial.

Cheers
Rudo
Rudolf
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Rudolf Botha

Re: "BitLooker" in Endpoint Backup

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:30 am

Hi,

Actually this functionality has been available in Endpoint Backup since Day 1
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/11 ... lders.html

This feature is actually very easy to implement for an agent-based backup solutions, basically available natively.
It is host-based backups where we needed to jump through the hoops to achieve the same:)

Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Veeam Logoby Rudolf » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:07 am

I am aware of the file exclusion option.
That has the draw back of "part change, whole file backup".
E.G. If the user opens up Outlook and a PST gets edited the whole 5GB gets backed up again.

If you use full system image you get block tracking and only changed data gets backed up.
E.G. If the user opens Outlook and a PST file gets edited only the part of the data on the drive that changed gets backed up.
Down side is that if the user decides to put his collection family vacation holiday videos on his laptop (all 100GB of it) is effects the backup adversely (space used = increased cost of storage, time it takes to backup = decreased performance for server and user, incomplete backups if the user didn't stay connected for long enough).
Times this by a few similar infringements and I have my hands full just managing user backups.

With BitLooker we can exclude these media files and still use benefit of a full system image.
Rudolf
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Rudolf Botha

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi Rudolf,

Can you elaborate what backup mode are you using? I am assuming it’s a file level backup mode, right?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 441 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:36 pm

Rudolf wrote:With BitLooker we can exclude these media files and still use benefit of a full system image.

You can exclude folders and still do full system image in Veeam Endpoint Backup too.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows