Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

Block-level recovery to a different computer

Post by evilaedmin »

I am trying to understand if it is possible to use the Block Level Backup functionality of the Veeam agent in order to convert some SAN file-server volumes in my environment into VMware-based VMDK volumes. Conceptually I see this as taking a Block-level backup of a a Volume on one Veeam Agent server running Windows Server 2012 R2, and restoring to a volume of the same size or larger which just happens to be a VMDK-powered volume rather than a SAN volume, on a different Server running Window Server 2016. In reviewing the documentation it seems there is a built-in export function already.

Are there any gotchas to the export process?

I think ideally I would instead of using the export process, I would use the ability to make a block-level incremental, and restore via this block-level incremental, to shorten any required downtime.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Block-level recovery to a different computer

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello evilaedmin,

Should work without any issues: take entire computer backup or volume level backup of your file server to Veeam backup repository. Launch Export as virtual disk type of restore and export the disk to the desired format. Once done you can attach this disk to any VM. Cheers!
evilaedmin
Expert

Post by evilaedmin »

Hi Dima,

Regarding export, are incremental restores supported? Some volumes are large and the downtime required may not be acceptable.

Alternatively, how can I confirm if it is supported to restore incremental to a different instance of Veeam Agent via Block level backup?

Thank you,
evilaedmin
Expert

Post by evilaedmin »

I may have misunderstood this statement regarding volume-level backups:
Volume level backup — select this option if you want to create a backup of specific computer volumes, for example, all volumes except the system one. When you restore data from such backup, you will be able to recover data on these volumes only: files, folders, application data and so on. With this option selected, you will pass to the Items step of the wizard.
So no volume-level restore capabilities at all?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Regarding export, are incremental restores supported? Some volumes are large and the downtime required may not be acceptable.
Yes, export from incrementals is supported.
Alternatively, how can I confirm if it is supported to restore incremental to a different instance of Veeam Agent via Block level backup?
You can run file level recovery or volume level recovery from backup made with one agent on another agent. Same works for Bare Metal Recovery.
So no volume-level restore capabilities at all?
Export as virtual disk operates on a disk level, so it will export all volumes protected by agent from a single disk to a virtual disk (i.e. you are backing up volume C only, export will create a disk with single volume C).