Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Psychor
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Browse backup for different machine?

Post by Psychor »

I have a workstation A which is backed up via Veeam to to server A over the network.

I have folders on server A which are backed to a drive on server A over SATA.

Is there any way to view the backup for server A on workstation A? I can't seem to find an option to point Veeam, on workstation A, to a backup other than it's own. It would be nice to be able to browse other backups to pull out specific files. This is an issue if I can't access the server to use Veeam, but can still access the drive on the server with the files I need.

Thanks.
s_t
Influencer
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Sebastian Talmon

Re: Browse backup for different machine?

Post by s_t »

Do you use Veeam Backup&Replication on the Server, or Veeam Endpoint Backup?

As you wrote the question in the Backup&Replication-Board:
For Veeam Backup&Replication, you can install the console on your workstation, and do restore tasks from the console after connecting to your backup server

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
--Sebastian
Psychor
Enthusiast

Post by Psychor »

Veeam Endpoint Backup. My original post should have been made in the "Veeam Agent for Windows" forum. Can someone please move it?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Already moved. In order to do that, you will need to install backup console (even free edition will work fine), import backup and perform whatever restore task you want to. Thanks.
Psychor
Enthusiast

Post by Psychor »

v.Eremin wrote:Already moved. In order to do that, you will need to install backup console (even free edition will work fine), import backup and perform whatever restore task you want to. Thanks.
Thanks for the reply. Could you please provide a direct link to the free product?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

https://www.veeam.com/downloads.html

On that page (I believe you need to login though) you will be able to download our free solutions (a little bit below on the page)

Cheers
Mike
Psychor
Enthusiast

Post by Psychor »

Mike Resseler wrote:https://www.veeam.com/downloads.html

On that page (I believe you need to login though) you will be able to download our free solutions (a little bit below on the page)

Cheers
Mike
No offense, but that really didn't help.

Could you please tell me exactly what free product I need to download from that page once logged in? I don't see it.

Thank you.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

I was referring to the Veeam Agent for Windows free edition that you can find on that download page. However, going through the entire thread again, I think I and my colleagues might have misunderstood it a bit. Are both the workstation and server protected by Veeam Agent for Windows? In that case you can simply use the agent that is deployed on the workstation. Open the File Level Restore Wizard on your workstation (All Programs > Veeam > File Level Restore). It might be that you need to take one step back in the wizard to the Specify Backup File Location. There you can point that wizard to the location of the server backup. And then you can go further through the wizard and start the restore.

Let me know if that works.

(And sorry if we indeed misunderstood it)
Mike
Psychor
Enthusiast

Post by Psychor »

Thanks Mike. Yes, Veeam Agent for Windows is installed on workstation A and Veeam Agent for Windows is installed on server A. I was hoping there was a simple browser tool where you could point it to where a Veeam backup is stored and view the contents of that backup to pull out a few files. I'd like to do this without having to mess with the scheduled backups on workstation A and server A, which it unfortunately sounds like I need to do. :?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Psychor wrote:I'd like to do this without having to mess with the scheduled backups on workstation A and server A, which it unfortunately sounds like I need to do. :?
Pointing restore wizard to another backup file should not affect the existing schedule. By the way, you could use Veeam B&R to perform recovery via single console :wink:
Psychor
Enthusiast

Post by Psychor »

Thank you. Could you explain what you mean by "By the way, you could use Veeam B&R to perform recovery via single console?"
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

I think what Dima means is that you can point your backups to a Veeam Backup & Replication repository and do restores from that console: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=21

But in case you aren't using it, Dima is correct. You can open the file explorer within VAW and point it to another backup without disturbing the schedule or backup of that specific agent.

Mike
Psychor
Enthusiast

Post by Psychor »

I'm using Veeam Agent on the server and Veeam Agent on the server. Nothing else. Thanks.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

In that case, do as Dima says. Right-click on the icon of VAW on one of the machines and start a file restore. Then you can point it to the backup of the other machine and start restoring the files you need

Cheers
Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Yes, recovery from separate backup files is fully supported. Check this Help Center article.

Actually, it’s even possible to perform recovery via Veeam B&R Free edition. You need to switch backup console to full functionality mode, import the backup file and then perform the recovery.