Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
wkies
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Wolfgang Kiesling

Can an Image backup be mounted in VMware ESX

Post by wkies »

Hi all,

Can a Veeam Agent for Windows image back-up be used and mounted in a WMware ESX environment or is it suggested that VMware vCenter Converter Standalone be used for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Can an Image backup be mounted in VMware ESX

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community wkies.

With Veeam Agent for Windows and Veeam B&R you can convert the disks of your physical host to vmdk or vhd(x) format. Check Export as virtual disk type of restore for more details. It's also possible to perform a Bare Metal Recovery of a physical machine to your VMware host using bare metal recovery (you can mount RE iso to a blank VM). Thank you.
wkies
Novice

Post by wkies »

Thanks for the quick reply. So basically I would use Veeam Agent for Windows and select Backup mode Entire Computer to and external disk for example and then use Veeam B&R to convert the image which I then can use in VMware ESX?

The second Option "Bare Metal Recovery" , where would I initiate the bare Metal Recovery Option from? On the ESX host (vCenter?)

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

wkies wrote:I would use Veeam Agent for Windows and select Backup mode Entire Computer to and external disk for example and then use Veeam B&R to convert the image which I then can use in VMware ESX?
Yup.
wkies wrote:where would I initiate the bare Metal Recovery Option from? On the ESX host (vCenter?)
You need to create Veeam Recovery Media on the host you are backing up. Then mount this iso to a blank vm with an empty disk and restore entire host from the backup.
wkies
Novice

Post by wkies »

it worked without a hitch.......thanks!