Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Duaner
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Renaud

Can blocksize of restored backup be different?

Post by Duaner »

Hi,

We're using Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE as a desktop backup solution. The other day I was asked to confirm that when a system is restored (Bare metal or via restore -> entire volumes) the same block size is used as it was on the system the backup was taken from. I couldn't find this in the documentation.
The idea is to build a system from scratch (Win7 x64) on a ssd and create a backup on usb-hd before each program is installed. One is concerned that when the system is restored a different block size is used, which would decrease ssd performance.

Any ideas about this? Or, Where can I find this in the documentation?
Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Can blocksize of restored backup be different?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mark, the block size will remain in tact when restoring data from the backup file.
Duaner
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Renaud

Post by Duaner »

Hi Vitaliy, thanks for your reply. Does the same apply for the alignment of those blocks? Will that remain intact when restoring a backup?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Mark, VEB does not align data blocks automatically. To the best of my knowledge SSD block size is larger than the file system has, so I guess you shouldn't see any performance degradation, right?