Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
woodslanding
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: eric m

Can't find a driver for IRIS after move

Post by woodslanding »

Seems like my move to new hardware went flawlessly.... but. I keep getting a message that the driver is not supported on this hardware.... I'm running WIN 10 64 bit, and it's a pre-creator's edition which basically never goes online. It's in an installation. I'd sure like to avoid updating it (let me count the ways....)

I tried the next older version of the Iris driver I could find, and that didn't work either.

My old machine was a broadwell 5775, and I've moved to an 8700k. Iris driver was not found after the move, although there was a hidden entry for it in device manager. I uninstalled that. Hope that wasn't a mistake.

I installed the intel driver management software, and it pointed me to the most recent driver so that didn't help. Same problem.

It seems like somewhere, windows still thinks its on the old machine.... maybe? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to try an update. Is there a way to update without getting the 'new edition'??

Asking here as I don't know who else would ever run into these kinds of problems!

Thanks in advance!
-eric
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Can't find a driver for IRIS after move

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Eric,

Have you tried to get in touch with the hardware vendor (usually they have a pool of drivers available at their website)? Cheers!
woodslanding
Novice

Post by woodslanding »

I assume you mean the motherboard? Because I have searched all over from intel's end.

I'll try that tomorrow.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Eric,

If that does not work you can disable windows update (to make sure that your system wont be updated), connect this machine to internet, search for the required driver via MS Device Manager and once the driver is installed - disable the internet connection. Cheers!
woodslanding
Novice

Post by woodslanding »

Yeah, I've had windows updates disabled for a long time. Long enough not to give the version number on the system page, which I've been seeing at least since 1709. It does get on the net every once in a while to update some piece of software or other, but it doesn't even have a built-in wireless. I've got one on a usb dongle.

But the problem I'm having is every driver I download that is compatible with the MOBO (asrock z390M pro4) pops up the following error:

"this installation package is not supported by this processor type"

I've tried 3 different versions. The one on the asrock site is a little older(v24) than the one windows device manager suggests(v25), but neither works. Nor does the one recommended by the intel management software(also v25). Nor did an even older one(v22) I dug up with a web search.

I feel like the driver believes I'm still running my old broadwell 5775c processor. So I'm wondering if a config file or registry entry somewhere needs to be edited to let the installer know what the processor actually is (8700k). Does anybody know where or how the installer checks for compatible processors?

Of course it seems all too possible that even a windows update would not cure this. I wouldn't expect the update to double-check your processor type.

I'm disappointed that the intel management software didn't pick up the issue....
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Eric,

I am sorry to hear that! I'd love to help but unfortunately there is not much I can do about the way how hardware vendors distribute their drivers. If you need any assistance from us - just let us know. Cheers and have a great weekend!