Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Fareweb
Lurker
Liked: never

Cannot backup entire computer or volume, only at file level

Post by Fareweb »

Dear Veeam Community,

After opening a support case, number 05943400, that has been closed without any help due to low support staff availability (not complaining of that fact as it's a free version, just relating), I post here the problem I'm facing :

On a HP Proliant ML310e Gen8v2 server running Windows Server 2012R2 with two 1TB hard drives in mirrored RAID configuration corresponding to disk 0.
Two partitions were created using HP provisioning, System (C:\) with 250GB (201GB free) and Data (D:\) with 681GB (193GB free).

When attempting to back up the entire machine using Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows version 6 to a 4TB external USB hard drive, an error message "Partition 3 exceeds disk 0 layout by 32808960 bytes" is displayed (Partition 3 corresponds to Data (D:)).

The following events happen in this order:
Warning message 1: Partition 3 exceeds disk 0 layout by 32808960 bytes
Error message 1: Data (D:) (681,2 GB) 494,8 GB read at 31 MB/s
Warning message 2: One or more bad blocks were detected and skipped and skipped in the source disk
Error message 2: Error: The drive cannot find the sector requested Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: The drive cannot find the sector requested Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [575094]. Failed to download disk 'F579EBCB'.
Error message 3: Processing finished with errors at 13/03/2023 21:17:42

Attempts to reduce the size of partition D:\ using Diskpart have failed as the "shrink querymax" command returns a value of zero bytes, and it appears that some system files are located at the end of the partition.

NB: I had the same problem two other servers for another customer and succeded to shrink the partitions. Cannot say if the problem is due to HP Provisionning or wrong configuration.

Does anyone have a hint or a lead? Any idea that doesn't involve completely reinstall server...
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Cannot backup entire computer or volume, only at file level

Post by Mildur »

Hello

I assume you followed this kb?
https://www.veeam.com/kb2060

If that server belongs to a customer, he must be licensed. In that case the support case will not be closed. Providing services to customers without a license would violate our EULA. It is not allowed to provide any service (troubleshooting, consulting, implementation) to customers for a free Veeam product.
https://www.veeam.com/eula.html (Chapter 4)

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software