Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
matt_tyb

Cannot reinstall Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Free

Post by matt_tyb »

Case #04712038

If I uninstall and reinstall the agent, the reinstallation fails. The install fails with the following error:

Failed to start the service The VeeamEndpointBackupSVC.

On reboot the service will start, however i cannot launch the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows, i see it temporarily in the task manager before the process terminates. If i run a repair, i get the same error about the service not being able to start, and can never complete the installation.

I have uninstalled, and deleted the following files
C:\Programdata\Veeam\Endpointdata
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\appdata\Local\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\VeeamEndpoint
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\appdata
C:\Program Files\Veeam
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam

And then reinstalled, but still get the Failed to start the service error. If i reboot the box and assume everything is installed, I cant launch Veeam to configure backup (i was successful once - but the backup failed to run). I get the same symptoms on two separate hosts.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Cannot reinstall Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Free

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

There are a few posts for VeeamEndpointBackupSVC issues on the forums (forum search shows them). Maybe you find something that can help.

Speculating on the reason and guessing for a solution on a forum makes little sense to me. That's where support can help by analyzing the logs.

Best regards,
Hannes
matt_tyb

Post by matt_tyb »

Hi,

I have raised a ticket with support and have sent them the logs - without a support case you can't post on the forum - I learned this when my first post got deleted.

I have looked at the various forum posts, that's where i got the steps to delete the files from the various locations and to cleanup the registry.

I generally do a backup when i want to migrate to new hardware, and that's why i don't leave the agent installed. In this case the backup was corrupted and the reason for the reinstall.

I fail to see where i am speculating and guessing, i thought this forum was for sharing, or am i wrong on that.

Regards
Matt
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Matthew,

This forum is primarily to discuss product implementation best practices and feedback, such as feature requests. The team behind this forum is not related to the technical support and cannot help with troubleshooting technical issues e.g. logs analysis and so on. If you need technical assistance with resolving a technical issue the best approach is to raise a case immediately - this is one of the reasons why you should specify the case ID when posting about an issue. I would strongly suggest waiting for a reply from our support engineers, but keep in mind that technical support for free Veeam products is provided on a "best-effort" basis. I hope it clarifies things a little bit.

Speaking about the issue itself, I would check the AV software first of all as it may prevent the service from starting. Also, make sure all the Windows updates are installed and the machine is not pending a reboot. You may also dig into Windows events and try to find out what is preventing the service from starting on your own.

Thanks
asdffdsa6131
Expert
Liked: 24 times

Post by asdffdsa6131 » 1 person likes this post

hi, you did not specify what version of vagent?

but i had an issue with agent.11, service would not start.
i worked with tech support for a week, they coud not fix it.

i was able to get it working.
for the service properties, log on as,
1. set to local administrator
2. start service - that worked
3. stop service
4. set to local system account
5. start service
6. be happy
matt_tyb

Post by matt_tyb »

Hi asdffdsa6131,

Using the latest version of Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Free 5.0.0.4301, had been using an older version prior to this.

I saw the posting about changing the service account, but this didn't work for me.
Once the service is stopped it seems to need a reboot to be able to start again.

After the reboot the other parts of Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows "Free" terminate with what looks like access denied errors.

Thank you for the suggestion.

"i worked with tech support for a week, they coud not fix it."

:)
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Matthew,

Do you have any kind of antivirus software installed on this machine? If so, please try completely uninstalling it (not just disabling), just for the sake of testing.

Thanks
matt_tyb

Post by matt_tyb »

Hi Wishr,

Anti-Virus is installed and working on first installation and does not cause any issues, i could for example take a bare metal backup.

It is only on reinstallation that Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Free has issues and won't complete the installation, start the services or run any of the GUI.

A free solution that doesnt work, is not useful, so i've moved on to other free solutions that do.

Thanks
Matt
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Matthew,

I'm pretty sure it is not related to Veeam Agent itself as we have dozens of thousands of users and they do not experience the same issue you have faced. Your issue is rather related to the antivirus or another environmental specific that prevents VAW from installing/starting services. My bet is that it is due to the AV because we've seen a lot of such cases so you may uninstall the AV to confirm it and then install it back if required. The logic is that an already installed VAW might not be affected by the AV and it is just impacting the installation process due to a not ideal prevention/detection logic (false-positive) which is quite common in any security software. Just guessing, but I would definitely give it a try.

For a detailed investigation, you should wait for an answer from our support team.

Thanks
asdffdsa6131
Expert
Liked: 24 times

Post by asdffdsa6131 » 1 person likes this post

one problem i have noticed with the newer verions of windows 10 is "controlled folder acccess".
did not affect veeam but i wasted an hour or two, before i found out about it.
was trying to create bootable usb keys and the apps kept failing.