Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
bobogrande
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: BoboGrande

Case use? Additional Software needed?

Post by bobogrande »

With the advent of Veeam endpoint I am wondering if there is a combination of Veeam software that can provide me with what I need/want:

Assume machines at several locations belonging to different organizations.
I would like to:

Basic:
back up the Windows 7 endpoints at each location to a single disk (internal or external) at that location
get a second copy of that data to my own location giving me the ability to restore either at the original site or at my location (up to and including spinning that backup into a vm at my location)

Advanced:
be able to tell if the jobs have completed or not
reduce the size of the increments (step 1 towards that, as I've already discovered=disable defrag and reduce the increment retention period to 7 days)
be able to roll up the increments or somehow get fresh full backups both to reduce the size of the incremental files that are being transmitted and to protect against bit rot in the initial backup making the whole thing useless a year down the road
periodically and hopefully semi-automatically test that I have full and valid backups.

Can I do all this? What other Veeam software do I need?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Case use? Additional Software needed?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Bobogrande,

Reading your use-case, it isn't that easy to achieve what you want to do... Unless:

1. Make backups of the endpoints to a Veeam Backup & Replication repository locally.
2. Then make a backup copy job to your repository (as a cloud provider (cloud connect) seems like the best way to avoid VPN's and trusts and those kind of things...). I assume here that those different organizations are your customers?

If there are VPN's and such in place, you can do the same but then without the cloud connect part, just a backup copy job to your repository)

However, keep in mind that a few things won't work today:
- Testing of the backups (this will be still a manual job, surebackup isn't supported today)
- The rollup of the backups happens for you (we are using forever incremental)

So, depending on your business model, Veeam Cloud Connect could be a solution for you

Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

bobogrande wrote:Basic:
back up the Windows 7 endpoints at each location to a single disk (internal or external) at that location
get a second copy of that data to my own location giving me the ability to restore either at the original site or at my location (up to and including spinning that backup into a vm at my location)
This is exactly why we have integration with Veeam B&R and Cloud Connect, so if you're not registered as VCP, then I would definitely do it and then setup a repository in each location and then used backup copy jobs to send backups to your HQ.
bobogrande
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: BoboGrande

Post by bobogrande »

Thank you both. I've emailed my sales contact asking for info re: Cloud Connect and VCP.