Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Change directory path when creating backups to a VBR

Post by mikeely »

Right now using the standalone agent to a veeam backup repo, it creates a directory tree based on the login information given in the setup job, so I'll see a path like:

/path/to/veeam/backups/DOMAIN_user.name/Backup_Job_Name

This is not desired behaviour. I want to replace the DOMAIN_user.name part with something that makes a little more sense in this environment. How can this be done?
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Change directory path when creating backups to a VBR

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I don't see a way doing that. The point is, that a customer should never touch the files in the file system. That also means, the he should not care about how the software names files or folders. Yes, our file structure is very simple. But that does not mean that a customer should touch it.

If you are seeing any technical issues, please describe them.

Best regards,
Hannes
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Post by mikeely »

The main issue here is in documentation and general usability - while it's pretty easy to, for example, say
Find the backup files in /backups/san_antonio/servers/windows/servername/
it's another thing entirely from a "can anyone figure this out at 3am" standpoint to write
Find the backup files in /backups/san_antonio/servers/windows/`figure out which domain user originally configured the backup of this server and look for their name in the list`/servername/
Considering the chances that restores are likely to be needed when the only person awake has just been called out of bed and can't exactly go on Slack or whatever to ask around the office, having clear and easy-to-understand file paths is friggin essential. Not that I've ever been called out of bed at 3am to fix something complicated, at least not this week (my turn in the rotation comes up soon).
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Could you describe in which situation you need to go to the underlying filesystem structure for restore? I never used the filesystem paths for restore. I always used the GUI (the restore button from the ribbon) and go to the day I want to restore.

As an I guy, I fully understand that "nice looking paths" are always desired. :-) But not from a "I need that for restore".

In most backup software products, there is not even a structure as we have it. The backup data is just distributed in tons of small files over the whole filesystem.

Best regards,
Hannes