Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
chaycock
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Carlton Haycock

Clarification on VBR/VAW license requirements

Post by chaycock »

I have an NFR license for VBR 9.5 and would like to start using it to manage the VAW agents installed on endpoints. Is the NFR for VBR sufficient for this or do I also need to have licenses for the VAW?

I have read conflicting information, some say that as long as you have one or the other licenses it will work, others have said you have to have both, and I have also read that if you have VBR then you don't need a license for the VAW.

So, if someone can set me straight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Carlton
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Clarification on VBR/VAW license requirements

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Carlton,

To license your agents you must have a valid agent license (this could be an NFR too) but Veeam B&R license is no required. For instance you can use Veeam B&R running in Free mode (without any license) in conjunction with agent license to protect a site without any VMware or Hyper-V workloads.
chaycock
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Carlton Haycock

Post by chaycock »

I think you answered the opposite of what I was asking...lol...I have VBR with an NFR license, it is backing up a couple of VMs and I want to use it to start backing up/managing the VAW endpoints. Currently the VAW are just backing up to a share on the network, I want them to start using VBR and backing up to the repository.

My question is, given my scenario, do I need licenses for the VAW endpoints to manage them via VBR and have them backing up to VBR since VBR *is* licensed?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

do I need licenses for the VAW endpoints to manage them via VBR
Yes, agent license is required.