Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mcnairnit
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: IT Dept

Cloned PC - Change Shared Folder location

Post by mcnairnit »

VEEAM Agent ver. 2.2.0.589

I have two workstations that are shared by the same users. I built the first one and ran a VEEAM agent back to restore to the second machine to copy everything over. It worked great, the second machine computer name etc. have been changed so it's unique.

My issue is with attempting to re-install VEEAM Agent on the second machine and get the backups configured. It goes fine but when I attempt to set up the Shared Folder location it takes it but when I run the backup it restores to the first PC's folder.

eg.
PC ONE: \\servername\pc_backups -> backs up to a folder called COMPUTERNAME1
PC TWO: \\servername\pc_backups -> backs up to the same folder (COMPUTERNAME1)

In past when I have set up the Shared folder as above it would append the computer name as the folder it backs up to. With this instance it all backs up to the first pc's folder. I'm guessing there must be a config file somewhere on the second PC that I can alter the destination folder on the share?

Hope what I've typed makes sense, and that there is a fix. I have uninstalled/re-installed, changed backup location etc. but as soon as I put it back to the desired folder it reverts.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Cloned PC - Change Shared Folder location

Post by ejenner »

I can't quite follow what you're trying to say to be honest.

What are you trying to achieve... maybe that's a better way to approach this. Is it that you have two computers you want to backup?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Cloned PC - Change Shared Folder location

Post by Dima P. »

mcnairnit,

Backup folder is created based on the job name. With older versions machine name was used as a predefined name for a folder and I assume after cloning (restoring) the original machine the settings were simple preserved. To address that please update your Agent to the latest version and re create backup job. We made it possible to specify the custom name for backup job and remove the desired backup job via UI (so that should be easy).