Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
BigKetchup
Novice
Liked: never

Connecting to a network share on a local drive

Post by BigKetchup »

I'm trying to backup to a local folder that only has read/write permissions on a separate, local account. The idea behind this is if I accidentally download ransonware, it won't be able to touch my backup folder because the normal account I use doesn't have read or write permissions to the folder and my backup files should be safe.

Let me know your thoughts on that but in the meantime I can't seem to access the folder through the Veeam backup wizard. I try selecting a network backup, type in the full path to the network share (in this case it's \\My-PC\Shared) and try specifying the Visitor account in the username and the correct password but it keeps saying access is denied. I then tried My-PC\Visitor in the username box but the same problem occurred.

I've done this on actual networks and it works but there's something about it accessing a network share on the local computer that it doesn't like. Can you think of a way to solve this this?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Connecting to a network share on a local drive

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as far as I understand your post, it would not protect protect your backups against ransomware.

I don't get the idea of backing up to a local folder... don't you back up to USB drive or NAS? Because both can be disconnected easily. Having backups on the same machine like the source is a bad idea in general

See the 3-2-1 rule: https://www.veeam.com/blog/how-to-follo ... ation.html

Best regards,
Hannes
BigKetchup
Novice
Liked: never

Post by BigKetchup »

The way it works is that the normal user account used for daily activities wouldn't have read or write access to the backup folder and cannot change the security properties of it, either. For that, you'd either have to log into the separate account that's only used for backup purposes to access the folder or remove it from the physical machine and connect it via SATA to USB. What I'm trying to do is get the Veeam to access a network folder from the same machine but it doesn't appear to like that.

Edit: From the same machine with the said separate account.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi BigKetchup,

You can configure Veeam Agent for Windows under admin account, point it to the folder with read/write permissions set to admin and system accounts and then regular user wont be able to access the folder without elevating permissions to admin. Cheers!