Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
manofbronze
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Create/Schedule Multiple backup Jobs in VAW 2.0 RTM?

Post by manofbronze »

I am currently testing the RTM of VAW 2.0 and very happy with the results so far. Especially pleased with backup direct to cloud repository and the ability to restore VAW 2.0 backups as vmware or hyper-v virtual disks. I have been able to perform several complete recoveries into VMWare and Hyper-v with minimal post recovery "tweaking". :D

I would like to be able to deploy VAW as a replacement for a competing product we use at several of our customer's sites; however, there seems to be no facility to create and schedule (2) different types of backups. The current product we use for physical servers allows the cloud backup job to not only backup directly to the cloud, but retain a local copy. Both the local copy and the cloud copy can have different retention policies. So far, with VAW 2.0, I am only able to configure a single job per server/workstation. I understand that I could use Veeam B&R installed locally as the backup repository, then use backup copy from B&R to copy to our Cloud Connect server, but this makes the solution more costly to the customer. Additionally, the competing product is "agentless" and thus can perform backups of the entire network from a "single pane of glass". Also, there is no charge for the agent that performs the backup.

Am I missing something? Is it possible to define and create more than one type of backup job with VAW 2.0? If not, any plans to accomodate this in the near future?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Create/Schedule Multiple backup Jobs in VAW 2.0 RTM?

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

At this moment it is not possible out of the box. There is a workaround (see http://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/send ... d-connect/ for more details).

This request seems to pop up more and more so our PM and engineers are aware of it and will take this as a count for the feature request ;-)

Hope it helps
Mike
dmayer
Influencer
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Daniel Mayer

Post by dmayer » 1 person likes this post

Thank you! We are going to be using VAW with local storage + Cloud Connect and we will be using this method, but a built in method would be great for the next version. We've been looking for something like VAW and Cloud Connect to do managed backup for our customers and an affordable price.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Daniel,

You can use a VBR FREE with agent license on top as a target repository for your agents and then perform a backup copy job to a Cloud Connect repository. In such case VBR license is not required.
dmayer
Influencer
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Daniel Mayer

Post by dmayer »

Dima,

Does it work to install both VBR and VAW on the same machine though? Our scenarios will be SMB's where we'd want both local and cloud, and some only have 1-3 computers onsite, probably barely enough to run VBR Repository role.

It will work like this:
One computer that is the "file server"
a NAS to backup to
and Cloud Connect
chaycock
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Carlton Haycock

Post by chaycock »

I was not aware there was a free version of VBR, where can we get it?
I would like to use it at home as the repository for all of the backups, is this possible?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

This is possible :-). You can even get a NFR license for your homelab (have a look at https://www.veeam.com/blog/how-to-get-f ... r-key.html)

The free version of VBR is just the same iso and install but without adding a license.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

So if you don't add a license key, what features are disabled and what other ramifications are there?

I saw the NFR page with the requirements (being an mvp,etc) and unfortunately I do not meet any of those requirements. Also, it seemed to indicate the NFR was only good for a year. This is something I would like to use ongoing, not just for a year.
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

The difference is listed in https://www.veeam.com/nl/veeam_backup_9 ... son_ds.pdf

The NFR license is indeed valid for 1 year after which you can request a new one.
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

Can you provide a link to the VBR download? I went to the downloads page and there a bunch of downloads, I want to make sure I get the correct one.

Thanks,
Carlton
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

The full list is available at https://www.veeam.com/downloads.html - for VBR just go to https://www.veeam.com/backup-replicatio ... nload.html

Keep in mind that update 2 is available for 9.5 as well (https://www.veeam.com/kb2283)
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

Thank you for your extremely quick responses to my questions!
vikassi
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jackson Johnson

Post by vikassi »

Dima P. wrote:Hi Daniel,

You can use a VBR FREE with agent license on top as a target repository for your agents and then perform a backup copy job to a Cloud Connect repository. In such case VBR license is not required.
Do you need to use the "workaround" that is linked to in the above post or can this be done natively?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

In this case workaround is not needed.
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

Is there a quick guide that describes how to use VBR as just a repository for VEB backups?
I loaded VBR but do not see anything about creating repositories, it is wanting me to register VM's, etc, of which I have none.

I have been looking at the following documentation page:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

However, I do not have any of the items regarding repositories on my console.
The only options that are showing up when I run it are the Virtual Machine options.
skochetkov
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Sergey Kochetkov

Post by skochetkov »

Hello!

You're in the right place. Start with creating VB&R repository like described in the said User Guide page and after that right click on the created repository and configure 'Agent Permissions'
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20

After that, you'll be able to use VB&R's repo as a backup target for Veeam Endpoint(Agent)
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

I must be misunderstanding something, based on the reply earlier, I was lead to believe that I could use the unlicensed version of VBR as a backup repository target for the free VEB client (ver 1.5 at this time). However, when I try to point the VEB client to the repository, I get an error message stating "Veeam Backup Free Edition servers are not supported as backup targets."

So did I misinterpret was I was told earlier, or am I doing something wrong?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Carlton,
I could use the unlicensed version of VBR as a backup repository target for the free VEB client (ver 1.5 at this time).
That won’t work. You should have a license installed in your VBR server. In case of new version – Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0, you can deploy agent license on top of Veeam B&R free and use it as a target.
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

>In case of new version – Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0, you can deploy agent license on top of Veeam B&R free

What exactly do you mean by "deploy agent license on top of Veeam B&R free"?
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

>That won’t work. You should have a license installed in your VBR server.

I applied for an NFR, but got an autoresponse back saying that the person that handles that will be out for the next 30 days or so.
Is there someone else that can issue NFR licenses?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can request the license here or use the contact sales form.
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock » 1 person likes this post

Thanks! That link worked and I was immediately send an NFR license key. I appreciate the help.
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

It appears the NFR gives you "2 sockets". I assume that means that 2 VEB instances can connect at the same time, is that correct?
What happens if more than 2 try to connect, do the one's that get denied retry or do they just fail the backup attempt and wait until the next scheduled one? As context, all I am using VBR for is a backup repository for a handful of workstations running VEB.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R is licensed by physical sockets of the VMware/Hyper-V hosts it backs up/replicates VMs from. Doesn't apply to your scenario.
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

lol...so you mean CPU sockets...I was thinking TCP sockets...
precisionbs
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Ron

Post by precisionbs »

How would you restore the entire server if you're using VAW w/VBR Free on the server that is affected? Isn't the VBR where the backup is being stored at required to access the backup file to perform a bare metal restore?
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

If I have been previously having the VEB clients backup to a share on a file server, is there a way once I create a VBR repository to import those backups into the repository so all of the clients don't have to start over and do complete full backups?
skochetkov
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Sergey Kochetkov

Post by skochetkov »

chaycock wrote:If I have been previously having the VEB clients backup to a share on a file server, is there a way once I create a VBR repository to import those backups into the repository so all of the clients don't have to start over and do complete full backups?
Hello Carlton,

Please open support case and request the steps which will help you achieving that.
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

>Please open support case and request the steps which will help you achieving that.

Should I open that from with VEB or VBR, or does it matter?
lromanini
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Luigi Romanini

Post by lromanini » 1 person likes this post

Mike Resseler wrote:Hi,

At this moment it is not possible out of the box. There is a workaround (see http://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/send ... d-connect/ for more details).

This request seems to pop up more and more so our PM and engineers are aware of it and will take this as a count for the feature request ;-)

Hope it helps
Mike
Thanks for the workaround, I think I will use it to schedule different backup jobs, for different purposes, on the same PC. For example a monthly job to backup an entire system partition of a disk and a daily file backup job for another partition. Anyway I really hope to find this feature (multiple backup jobs) integrated in the next VAW release/update.