Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lassem
Lurker
Liked: never

Creating VSS Snapshot takes extremely long

Post by lassem »

Hi

I'm testing the Veeam Agent on a Windows 2008R2 server and whenever I start my backup job it takes a very long time to create the VSS snapshot (30-35 hours). Once the snapshot has been created the actual backup runs pretty fast and completes successfully. My setup looks like this:

2x Windows 2008R2 Server running IIS in an active/passive file sharing cluster
2 LUNs at 2TB and 4TB (currently just testing with the small one)
Backup goes to our normal B&R server
The LUNs are fiber connected to a Compellent SAN
DFSR is also running on selected folders (if that matters)
Server is lightly utilized with about 5-15% cpu utilization and 13/24GB memory or so.

I've tried volume level backup as well as file level backups and in both cases it takes forever to create the vss snapshot. If I only take a backup of the C: volume things runs nice and fast. As soon as I try and backup the actual data volumes it just takes forever.

Does anyone have any idea as to why it takes this long to create the snapshot? Our plan was to run a incremental backup 3-4 times a day but that's not very viable like this.

Regards
Lasse
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Creating VSS Snapshot takes extremely long

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Lasse.

Is that a standalone agent installation or your agent is managed by Veeam B&R server? Thanks.
lassem
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by lassem »

I think you would call it a standalone agent (it's using the free license) but the backup job is configured to use our B&R server as backup repository.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

To troubleshoot this issue, I would suggest performing the VSS snapshot manually and compare the times. Will it be possible to run this test?