Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
uclnj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Greg Merideth

Data backup sizes?

Post by uclnj »

I've had Endpoint backup running for a while now and was curious as to what exactly is being backed up. I have my backup mode set to volume only on my C: drive going to another local drive. I'm seeing backups of 2.2-3GB with the occasional (not full) backups of 13-15GB. Backup's are set to 14 restore points so I would and expect to see large backups every 14 days. Last night, nothing new was installed, no updates and no new apps yet Veeam backed up 14.5GB of data. Do operations like defragmentation/cleanup cause that many block changes that would cause 14GB of data differential?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Data backup sizes?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Greg,
Do operations like defragmentation/cleanup cause that many block changes that would cause 14GB of data differential?
Sure, that might be the root cause of the incremental restore point growth for volume level backup mode. In case of scheduled defrag – impact should be lower, so it’s recommended to get defragmentation schedule enabled.