Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Markus46746
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Markus

Deduplication with Veeam without deduplication hardware

Post by Markus46746 »

Hi,
I am on the way to move from Windows Home Server Backups to Veeam. My environment: 1 Win10 workstation, 3 Win10 Notebooks, 1 Windows Server (the server itself) and 2-3 Linux clients.
The Windows Home Server 2011 Backup-tool did a deduplication, therefore each picture was deduplicated in the central backup. How to set this up possible in Veeam B&R 11?

Current Status:
I set up a 2019 Essentials Server with Veeam B&R.
I added my Win 10 notebooks with the pre-configured agent packages to my Protection Group. The target is the Veeam Backup Repository on the 2019 Server.
As a lot of the data on both notebooks is the same (OS, as well as a lot of ISOs and pictures and also some large videos), I would like to save space in the Repository by using deduplication. I found this article: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50, but it does not state, where I can configure these settings.

How can I configure file deduplication in a small environment?
I am thinking of potentially using a NAS as backup location. Is deduplication on NAS available?
I would also like to use the hardended linux repository as an additional backup storage. Is deduplication also available?

I did some digging in the documentation, but I could not find the ultimate answer to my questions, as there seem to be some dependencies between job mode, backup mode and storage etc. if an option is available.

I appreciate your help and some links to the correct documentation.

Regards,
Markus
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Deduplication with Veeam without deduplication hardware

Post by Mildur »

Hi Markus

Veeam Deduplication works for similar blocks inside of a Backup Chain.
It looks like you want to use Veeam Agents to backup your environment. Each Agent uses their own Backup Chain.

Therefore, you wont have global deduplication. The OS of each system will be stored independently for each machine you backup. The same goes for each data which is distributed over the different machines.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Markus46746
Novice

Post by Markus46746 »

Thanks Fabian. Then I have to find another way to create multiple copies.
Another question, as I just discribed my set up: I did a successful backup (Backup now). However, all other types of backup in the agent (new backup job, active full, standalone full and backup to other location) only create the message: Please contact your admin to perform a backup.
This is nasty, as the admin (daddy, which would be me) is at work, while my family is ordered to created backups before installing new software on their computers.
How can I change this setting?

Cheers,
Markus
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Your welcome, Marcus.

Looks like this functions are only available for an user which is member of the local administrator group.
A normal user can only start already configured backups jobs.

You find the requirements of this options here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50
A user account under which you start the operation must have administrative privileges on the Veeam Agent computer. If the account under which you are currently logged on to Microsoft Windows does not have administrative privileges, you will be prompted to enter administrator credentials.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Markus46746
Novice

Post by Markus46746 »

Hi Fabian,
yes, I saw that in the documentation. But my user "Markus" is type administrator. When I start e.g. the standalone full backup, I am promted by UAC to accept changes and then get the message: call your admin.
What does this part in https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50 mean?
Before you create an active full backup, check the following prerequisites: The backup job must be configured.

Is this a sepecific type of backup? I would configure it, but again, when I click "+ add new job...", UAC pops up and the message: Backup job settings cannot be configured, because they are managed by your system administrator.
I just tried to start the Veeam Agent for Windows App "as administrator". Same result: "Backup job settings cannot be configured, because they are managed by your system administrator." Only UAC pops up at the start of the app.

Cheers,
Markus