Disable VBK renaming? and Encryption/changed blocks?

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Disable VBK renaming? and Encryption/changed blocks?

Veeam Logoby nikpolini » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:15 am

Does the Registry setting DisableVBKRename work in the Endpoint Agent?

My reasons are I want to use rsync and VPN between 2 Raspberry Pi + 2TB USB HDD, one is onsite holding the initial backups (via SAMBA share) and the other is offsite at a friends house.... Only want to move changed blocks... so need the VBKs name to remain unchanged after the injection of oldest VIB.

Also great that the agent allows encrypting the backups now!
Hmmm.. How does that affect the block changes after injection? will the whole VBK be different once injected block are added?
nikpolini
Influencer

Liked: never

Re: Disable VBK renaming? and Encryption/changed blocks?

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi nikpolini,

The workaround you are referring to applies to Reversed incremental backup mode. Unfortunately, Veeam Agent for Windows runs in forever incremental backup mode which means incremental backup eventually is merged into full backup. In theory, you can configure periodic full backups and sync only the inactive part of backup chain.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 454 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

[MERGED]Feature request - Disable VBK renaming

Veeam Logoby HDennis » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:18 am

Hello,

Would like the option to disable the VBK renaming after a merge has been performed.
I'm currently doing local backups to my NAS. Afterwards I do a copy to the cloud. (Just to be on the safe side.) However due to the renaming of the VBK after a merge operation, the entire VBK needs to be uploaded again.
Would be nice to keep only 1 VBK name and let backup dedupe do the rest for the upload. (Total VBK to upload is around 210GB at the moment. Up speed is 20Mbps, so it would take around a full day to upload.)
HDennis
Lurker

Full Name: Dennis Holemans

[MERGED]Re: Feature request - Disable VBK renaming

Veeam Logoby Technogod » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:13 pm

Unless your backup supports change block tracking it wouldn't understand how to upload the changed blocks. It would still upload the entire file. That is why I'm using B&R and Agent.
Technogod
Enthusiast

Liked: 13 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Hello and welcome to the community Dennis,

Due the nature of forever forward incremental backup mode vbk rename won’t work. Try the periodic full backups and sync the inactive backup chain as suggested above.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Technogod » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:01 pm

How is this going to fix his problem? Once you perform a periodic full it will start a new backup chain. You would then need to sync the new full backup.
Technogod
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:28 pm

You can sync inactive backup chain because it won’t be modified by merge.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Technogod » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:29 am

This still won't fix the problem. You need to have a current backup. You will still have to sync the current full backup.

Quote: My reasons are I want to use rsync and VPN between 2 Raspberry Pi + 2TB USB HDD, one is onsite holding the initial backups (via SAMBA share) and the other is offsite at a friends house.... Only want to move changed blocks... so need the VBKs name to remain unchanged after the injection of oldest VIB.
Technogod
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby HDennis » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:26 am

Hello Dima,

So you suggest to create a periodic full (once a month)? Creating a new full backup will start a new chain, yes?
So I configure to keep backups for the last 45 days, but then also set to create an active full once each month? This way it will only need to upload a full VBK once a month and VIB injection is never really run?

I suppose this is better than uploading the VBK each days after retention starts to kick in, but still...
Would be better to be able to have only 1 VBK.
HDennis
Lurker

Full Name: Dennis Holemans

Veeam Logoby Carnie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:32 am

I got the same problem. Are there any plans to change this behaviour and get the chance to keep the .vbk filename ? Can i use a different Veeam Product with an acceptable price for personal usage to achieve this ? I really like veeam and it would be a pain in the ass to move to another solution for a minor thing like this.
Carnie
Lurker

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows