Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Endpoing Backup and Hyper-V Hosts

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I use Backup and Rep for my VM backups but I want to backup the Hyper-V hosts, so I am looking at using Endpoint backup. Should I do an entire computer backup? Would that also backup everything on the cluster storage? Is that best practice? Or should I backup everything then exclude the cluster storage? I am looking at what would be best practice for the Hyper-V host machines.

Thank you.
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Endpoing Backup and Hyper-V Hosts

Post by Dima P. »

Hi JaxIsland7575,
Thank you - that is an interesting question. Our QA team has tested the Veeam Endpoint Backup standalone Hyper V hosts backup for sure, so you should be able to backup only the host and its system volumes via volume level backup (excluding the csv)

Regarding the clustered storage I doubt it’s going to work but I want to encourage you testing it in your environment fist and let us know the results. :wink:
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I will admit, I have not run the install yet on the hosts, so I wasn't sure if I would be able to exclude the cluster storage by using the volume option. I should have some running installs this week, I will let you know what I find.

Thanks!
VMCE v9
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Dima,
I have installed VEB on one of my host servers and it does not see the mounted cluster storage if I choose the Volume level backup. My question is, could I assume an Entire Backup selection would also not see the cluster storage? Also I cannot point it at my backup repository because I do not have the patch installed. I cannot install the patch because my B&R server is more than 24 hours. Is there an ETA on the official release date for the update?

Thanks!
VMCE v9
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jax,

We are very close for the update release. Anton stated by the end of April and in a couple of days that is officially over :-)

For your other question, I hope Dima will confirm but as far as I know we won't backup that mounted cluster storage. Dima?
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Thanks for the quick reply Mike, I am 2 minutes into finding out what will happen with the Entire backup chosen. I will report back what I find.
VMCE v9
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 » 2 people like this post

Ok so here is the deal. I have 3 physical Hosts in a Hyper-V clustered storage configuration. My mounted folder is off the C:\ drive.
I have 3 volumes:
C:\ = 40GB (22GB used)
D:\ = 93GB (12GB used)
E:\ = 1GB (100MB used)

I chose to do a non-scheduled Entire backup and set the destination to a network shared folder. The job ran 7 mins 24 seconds. The full size on disk was 13.3 GB. When I went to restore files, it created the cluster storage folder structure but contained no data. This configuration for me is perfect, B&R will handle the VM's but now I can get full backups of the host machines without duplicating all the cluster storage space. I will be anxiously waiting for the official updated release so I can integrate this into my repositories.

One last question, even though Server 2003 is not supported has there been any successful backups with VEB on a 2003 server?

Thanks!
VMCE v9
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Great, thanks for the update, very useful to know!
VEB setup will refuse installation on an unsupported OS.