Had the same issue with bare metal recovery on my surface pro 3 (w10): it all worked flawlessly when I first used it on a single partition install (only drive C) , next I reinstalled the SP3 and created 3 partitions, next I decided to restore the previous single partition image (c drive only) and that failed with the same error although I did a manual restore & erased the disk within the veeam tool. Diskpart clean did not help. I reinstalled a single partition configuration, recreated a recovery media + made a backup. Now it works again. beats me. Testing takes a lot of time & for now all works again as expected for me but something is going on here so I thought I'd just let you know.