Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
MasterII
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Re: Error: Shared memory connection was closed

Post by MasterII » 1 person likes this post

I wound like to report similar problem with "Shared memory connection was closed". I do not know if any real technician will read this post, but even I have had to fix it myself, I think, there is something wrong. I can replicate issue every time. But my issue is not due to failed USB drive as resolved above.

Lets see my status (and notice):
- there is and USB drive Y: permanently connected (unfortunately no sata free)
- there is a share on this drive \\localhost\VEEAM only acessible by user "backuper" and "service" for fullrights. Administrators and others users can access this share only as read, applied for share permission and NTFS rights
(i cannot allow kryptoviruses to reach backups and encrypt them, and because VEBFree cannot save into unmapped letter nor protect the storage place, I am creating this workaround how to manage secured storage)
- there is a huge portion of backups data, repeatedly tried more then 650GB (when less, this issue does not appear - where is the real data amount limit I do not know exactly. But with 80GB there is no issue.)
- Backup is started, and backuping until end (many hours, but no problem untils end, read later)
- at the end "Shared memory connection was closed" and reason "network share is no longer available". (how should be \\localhost\veeam unavailable I cannot believe)

WHEN the same backup is saved into Y:\VEEM (without using share \\localhost\veeam), it is sucessfull, it take very similar time as into share and at the end there is no error.

I really wonder, why is is failing with storage in share \\localhost\veeam

- It is not permission issue (if only smaller amount of data is backuped, all is working fine)
- USB is not disconected automaticaly, i can browse it even in the same time VEBFree reports error
- on other machine where is no USB disk, but normal SATA this problem does not exists (possible workaround)

So finaly there is only point of my feedback and recommendation for VEEAM programmers and testers:
- there is something wrong with USB/network shared storage
- there will be nice, if there will be protection againts kryptoviruses implemented - in the way you manage now storage location permanently connected it is useless. Every user which install VEBFree is unprotected because of possible encryption of file backups. May be allow backup into unmapped partition (less secure, clever malware will get access there), better you completely run everything under different user and also only with this user full access permission to the storage. Everyone else must only read (in case od restore).

Sorry for long post, I will not do it again, I have really no time for this. But the VEEAM ENDPOINT BACKUP FREE is a wonderfull product, which deserves feedbacks.
I woud like to provide feedback, but it is as much complicated as it should be without guarantee somebody competent will read it. Unfreandly posting when red notice about case ID is scaring users, there is no official support for VEBFree, how to get this ID. I have none of two decribed support (paid) plans in the link. Even if VEBFree is a free product, there should be more comportable way to tell you ideas, improvements, issues. Not only endless sink of user community forums.

Keep good work!
MasterII
Novice

Post by MasterII »

Just small update.
Unfortunately I get same error on another machine with fixed SATA disk. There is no doubt that there is a bug for writing to network share 813GB and more. So my issue is not USB device related.
Exception from server: network share is no longer available (translated from czech).

Code: Select all

20.11.2016 1:24:48 :: Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: Zadaný síťový název není již dále k dispozici. Error code: 64 Failed to flush file buffers. File: [\\localhost\VEEAM\Backup Job MINIFRAME1\Backup Job MINIFRAME12016-11-20T011214.vbk]. Failed to download disk.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi MasterII,

Welcome to the community and thanks for the detailed explanation of your issue!

We do provide a free support for Veeam Endpoint Backup, so feel free to open a support case via Veeam Endpoint Backup’s Control Panel > Support tap > Technical support (you have to confirm your email address while submitting the case). That said, the described behavior does not look like expected. We do support a shared folder as a destination, even if that’s a shared USB devices connected to a local machine)

Kindly, open a case and share the case ID, so we could check the application logs. Thanks in advance!
roger.pfaff
Lurker
Full Name: Roger Pfaff

Post by roger.pfaff » 1 person likes this post

To solve this, just Format the external USB device in NTFS instead of FAT32!
So the large file limit of FAT32 dont longer causes this problem.

Hope this helps you

greetings from germany….
Neo32
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Bernd Winkler

[MERGED] Error: Shared memory connection was closed

Post by Neo32 »

Hi Everyone,

we had a problem on a machine with VAW.
We backup to a network share that runs a long time without error.
Now the Backup starts and run on error with following message:
Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: Released block cannot be restored. Failed to download disk.

What will the message say us? :)
Or better, how can we solve that?

br Bernd
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Bernd,

The error you've faced is very generic and it's hard to recognize the real cause without logs review.
Please contact the support team and provide them with the logs, also review this existing thread as it might contain a helpful consideration. Thanks!
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

I got the following error:

13/07/2019 09:46:03 :: Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: There is not enough space on the disk. Failed to write data to the file [I:\VeeamBackup\Backup Job <PC_Name>\Backup Job <PC_name>2019-07-13T074424.vbk]. Failed to download disk. 

The reason is simple. as there was not enough free space on the disk.
My question, however is: I see on the disk the following files, updated today:

13/07/2019  09:46                440.774 Backup Job <PC_name>.vbm
13/07/2019  09:45   435.489.665.024 Backup Job <PC_name>2019-07-13T074424.vbk
Can I presume that the backup was at least partiallyu completed and that I can trust it?
Regards
marius
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

No, you cannot trust partially completed backups, especially if the session finished with an error message.

Thanks!
tallpr24
Influencer
Full Name: kenneth santiago

[MERGED] Error:Shared memory connection was closed

Post by tallpr24 »

Hi all:

having this issue all a sudden on a few workstations.
the workstations all use USB 3.0 wd drive running version 4.0.1.2169.
this is what I have done so far:

-replaced the usb hard drive with a new one
-uninstalled Kaspersky
-ran chkdsk /f several times
-tried just backing up folders instead of partitions

after doing the above, i still get the same error. After the backup running for a few minutes.

the whole error reads:

9/9/2020 12:54:43 PM :: Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: The semaphore timeout period has expired. Failed to write data to the file [D:\VeeamBackup\Job\Job2020-09-09T123641.vbk]. Failed to download disk.

I already have a support ticket open on this
ticket#04343453 but we have been going back and forth for about 2 weeks. Hoping some one out there can share some information how to resolve this issue.
"Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code."
tallpr24
Influencer
Full Name: kenneth santiago

[MERGED] Re: Error:Shared memory connection was closed

Post by tallpr24 »

today , i tried selecting only the documents and settings folder, now Im getting this error.
9/9/2020 2:25:39 PM :: Error: The semaphore timeout period has expired. Failed to write data to the file [D:\VeeamBackup\Job\Job2020-09-09T133632.vbk]. Agent failed to process method {FileBackup.SyncDirs}. Exception from server: The semaphore timeout period has expired. Failed to write data to the file [D:\VeeamBackup\Job\Job2020-09-09T133632.vbk].
"Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code."
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Kenneth,

I see you have quite an active discussion with Support team and you've been asked to try File level backup with the smaller amount of data.
This error doesn't seem like some common issue, so please keep working with Support and stay tuned.
Also, I've moved your post to the thread with a similar issue.

Thanks!
silver
Lurker
Full Name: OHE

[MERGED] Veeam Support - Case # 04575895

Post by silver »

Dear Community,
I am a bit desperate. Since a few days my VEEAM backup does not work anymore. I backup directly to my QNAP NAS. The backup runs for a while, data is written to my NAS, then the backup aborts with the error message. Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method? I have uninstalled and reinstalled the VEEAM agent. Backup job created again. Always the same. The backup job ran successfully for years....what the hell can this be? Many greetings.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Silver,

I have merged your post into existing thread. Feel free to check answers above.
However, as you can find from the thread, this error can be caused and solved by various ways, so best would be keeping a line with Veeam Support to find a root cause for your case.

/Thanks!
alberto
Lurker
Full Name: alberto

[MERGED] Full backup problem

Post by alberto »

Hello,

I am asking for help with the error returned in the console - the message in email always appears when trying to perform a full backup ( backup target is Synology DS418 ) ;

Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: Określona nazwa sieciowa już jest niedostępna Failed to write data to the file [**********************************.vbk]. Failed to download disk.

Case #04947074

I use Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 5.0.0.4301 - Free Edition Thx.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello alberto,

I've merged your post to the existing thread. Based on my google translate skills the error you got is transferred from operating system and refers to the connectivity issues. I'd check file share resolution, DNS, firewalls to begin with. Thanks!
alberto
Lurker
Full Name: alberto

Post by alberto »

Hello Dima P.
You tell this? "I'd check file share resolution" :

Link to photo;
https://ibb.co/xCD7WCx

what box must be check on this dialog winodows?
Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Alberto,

Please check that you can access the mentioned file share from the machine with agent via credentials set in the backup job. Open Windows browser, type in the path to the share used as a target for your backup job, when prompted for account - use the one from backup job.
SchlepperCJ
Lurker
Full Name: Schlepper CJ

[MERGED] Error: Shared memory connection was closed

Post by SchlepperCJ »

Case-ID: 05082704
After installing Veeam Agent for Windows on a co-workers client and setting up the backup plan, he got this Error message after roughly 3 minutes of running the backup.
Veeam Agent 'Job XXXX' finished with Failed.
Job details: Error: Shared memory connection was closed.
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Exception from server: not an object
Failed to download disk.

The config:
Backup Mode: Volume level backup
Volumes: OS and C:
Destination: OneDrive
We unchecked the VeeamBackup folder for sync.
Veeam Agent Version is: 5.0.1.4584

Lmk if you need additional information.
Thanks in advance!
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi @SchlepperCJ,

Moved your post to the existing thread to keep similar issues together. Please keep in touch with Support to solve this technical issue. You can also check if this thread could give you some hints.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

SchlepperCJ,

I'd also recommend to switch from OneDrive target to any other repository as soon as possible: we have discovered possible data corruption issues with OneDrive and we plan to drop support OneDrive as a backup target in the next major version of Veeam Agent for Windows. Thank you!
Preskool
Novice
Full Name: Larry Weissman

Post by Preskool »

Case # 05127813

I have been using my QNAP NAS as a backup repository for years. After my windows computer crashed, I installed Veem Agent for windows and am now getting the errors described in the other posts

Failed to write data to the file [\\192.168.1.166\VR_Ableton\Job DESKTOP-7SVOQTD.adhoc.2021-11-09T202018\Job DESKTOP-7SVOQTD.adhoc.2021-11-09T202019.vbk].
[09.11.2021 20:38:46] < 15752> >> |--tr:Error code: 0x000004cf

Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
[09.11.2021 20:38:46] < 15752> cli| >> |Exception from server: The network location cannot be reached.

There is adequate space on the NAS, ran disk check no errors and I can access the shared volume from windows explorer with the same credentials used by the backup job. I can't see any issues with the repository and am really stuck.
Larry (PreSkool) Weissman
music production
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Larry,

Mind me asking if this issue is periodic or you constantly getting this error? Agent is backing directly to SMB share, no Veeam B&R involved, right? Can you confirm that account used for backup job creation works ok via Windows explorer (you can read / write files from you nas device)? Thanks!
Preskool
Novice

Post by Preskool »

Hello,
Correct the backup job fails every time with the errors mentioned. This is a fresh install of the latest version of the Windows agent (5.0.1.4584). I am able to access the shared folder via explorer with no issues and can write to it. When I log into the NAS (QNAP TS-241B) disks and volumes are fine, with no issues. My original computer with a older version of the agent worked for years with this NAS and I was able to backup and restore as needed. This issue has only come up with the new agent. I have now connected the computer directly to NAS via Ethernet to eliminate any WI-FI issues and will attempt to backup again. Any suggestions for further troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated as I really need to get my backups working.
music production
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Larry,

Can you try to recreate a new backup job and see if that works? Thanks!

P.S. I do remember that some issues might be related to NAS systems going in to the sleep mode (but in such case job would fail for the first time and then will be retried successfully).
Preskool
Novice

Post by Preskool » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

So when I setup a ethernet connection directly between the workstation and my NAS (through the router), the backups worked perfectly with no issues. It look's like the wireless connection was intermittently dropping. At this point I am fully operational and am adding ethernet wired connections to my other workstations that need backup. Thanks for all the help and advice.
music production
jefc1982
Lurker
Full Name: Jorge Costa

Post by jefc1982 »

I just changed the network storage optimization in job advanced settings from LAN to WAN-Target and it is working well, probably a packet size issue for some storage.
Lukasz111
Novice

Post by Lukasz111 »

Solution
1. Edit job
2. Thick the box “Perform backup files health check” and set the current day
3. Run the job
4. Click the backup job
5. Click “show retries”
6. Find the name of corrupted file