Error (VSS?) using Endpoint

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Error (VSS?) using Endpoint

Veeam Logoby shifto » Tue May 05, 2015 7:37 am

When I try to backup a certain Windows Server 2008R2 machine using Endpoint I get the following error:

Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy151]. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy151]. Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [34737]. Failed to download disk.

I've checked the hardware (raid controller, drives) and the filesystem (chkdsk, shrink volume) but nothing seems to work. The eventviewer isn't listing any problems which seem to be related. I can't figure this out, has someone been able to solve this?

If needed I will open a support ticket but I hope someone can tell me without having to. :)

Thanks!
shifto
Novice

Liked: never

Re: Error (VSS?) using Endpoint

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue May 05, 2015 11:18 am

First, is this an R2 SP1 server? Because that is the minimum you need to be able to run VEB.

If it is, then Dima P. on the forums will help you collecting logs and work with a dropbox or onedrive or something like that...
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby shifto » Tue May 05, 2015 11:24 am

Hi Mike,
Yeah I'm using the latest versions (including patches) for VBR and VEB. I didn't know these posts had to be approved (just dissapeared) so I figured I'd make a support ticket anyway. My support number is 00909713 which should contain the needed logs. :)
shifto
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue May 05, 2015 11:26 am

Post approved? What went wrong?

What I meant by R2 SP1 is the version of windows server that you are backing up

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby shifto » Tue May 05, 2015 11:37 am

Yes, I have installed SP1 (its actually up to date with all Windows updates). Also a support technician replied to my support ticket saying I should try using Victoria application to test the drive. Will get back to you in a moment, I'm going to try this. :)
shifto
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue May 05, 2015 11:38 am 1 person likes this post

Nice,

Thanks for the feedback
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows