Error when doing a sytem restore

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Error when doing a sytem restore

Veeam Logoby Glen.R » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:06 am

I have been testing VEB as a replacement for WHS client backup and am receiving an error when trying to do a system restore on my Win7 laptop. VEB has created the backup but when trying to restore from it the restore fails with the following error "Failed to decompress LZ4 block: Incorrect decompression result or length (result: '-935681', expected length: '1048576')."

The laptop will boot to what looks like a complete Win7 load (everything looks to be there) but after the restore VEB won't run. Forcing it to start in services just has it crash as soon as it starts. Obviously it runs fine before the restore as it does run the backup job.

I have lodged a support ticket (01697871) but am posting here as well in case someone else has experienced this or it may help someone else. The support ticket has the logs, but I can upload here if anyone wants them.

*Edit* I forgot to mention that after the restore the OS tried to do a CHDSK on the C: drive each reboot, but is unable to run chkdsk.
Glen.R
Influencer

Liked: never

Re: Error when doing a sytem restore

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi Glen.R,

Can you elaborate was the original Recovery Media used for bare metal recovery? Does it have all the storage drivers for the hardware you are restoring to?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 449 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Glen.R » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Yes, I used the original Recovery Media. I burnt a CD from that installation and used it to boot into recovery. It should have had all drivers for the laptop as it was produced on the laptop.
Glen.R
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:30 pm

Thanks. From what I see this error may refer to possible target disk corruption. Did you try to start a check disk while booted in the Veeam Recovery Media?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Glen.R » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:59 am

Well, I ran chkdsk on the drive from the recovery media (one error fixed), then reran the backup job and attempted a restore. The restore failed with the same error.

This time it booted without trying to run chkdsk and the VEB service started correctly. It looks like everything restored OK, but an error message is worrying.
Glen.R
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Glen.R » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:22 am

Update: rebooted again and this time it automatically ran chkdsk and fixed LOTS of errors the seemed to come up fine.

I rebooted again and it booted without issue.

The strange thing is, if I restore from my old WHS backup image, I don't get any errors. If it was a suspect HDD, I'd expect it to corrupt also.
Glen.R
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Glen.R » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:43 pm

To test if the laptop was causing an error I tried to backup and restore my desktop. This is a win7 machine with an SSD as the system disk and a 500GBHDD for data. I set VEB to back up the system disk (SSD) and the backup hung trying to create the VSS snapshot. The whole system hung at that point. I rebooted and tried again with the same result.

I am not having any luck with VEB. :(
Glen.R
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Hello Glen.R,

Can you share the recovery log with me via google drive or dropbox (it should be placed in your backup repository)?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Glen.R » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:33 pm

Restore log is in dropbox. I sent the link to you via PM.

The issue with the system hanging while trying to create a VSS snapshot; I tried backing up to a local drive and the back up ran fine ( or until lack of disk space caused it to end), but when I tried to back up again to a network drive everything hung while it was trying to create the VSS snapshot. The PC does not seem to exhibit any network issues in normal use, and this is my main workhorse PC that is always moving files across my network. I'm completely confused by these issues...
Glen.R
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:09 pm

Thanks - we are checking your logs.

hung while it was trying to create the VSS snapshot.

Do you have enough free space on the source disk since that might be caused by lack of free space while creating the VSS snapshot?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Glen.R » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:40 am

It's a 120GB SSD with 46.5GB free.
Glen.R
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:34 pm

Understood. Do you have the exact wording or screenshot of this VSS error? Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Glen.R » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:16 pm

I think I have found the problem. I rolled back to the final backup I made with WHS (before installing Veeam). I then updated all my mainboard, graphics and network drivers as well as flashing the BIOS with a later version, then reinstalled Veeam. The backup ran without issues. I then formatted the system reserved partion and c: drive and restored from the Veeam backup and all came up without issue. Very happy with that. Thanks for your help on this.
Glen.R
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Glen.R » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:44 pm

I spoke too soon. Having run my test backup/restore, I thought I would now do a full system backup. Configured Veeam to back up the entire computer, except for a specific folder I want excluded, and when I ran the backup the system hung a creating the VSS snapshot again.

No error message. The details panel just listed
Preparing for backup - 28 sec
Creating VSS snapshot - 12min 57 sec
Task Failed Unexpectedly

The task failing is when I reset the system as the PC had become completely unresponsive. No mouse movement, no keyboard response, completely hung.
Glen.R
Influencer

[MERGED]: Error block LZ4

Veeam Logoby ewkilian » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi,
Sorry I’m french and my English is very bad.
I such to restore a full volume but I have the error “failed to decompress LZ4 Block…” during the restoration.
I have change the target HD and I have do a CHDISK on the source HD.
Can you help me please ?
Thanks you very much
ewkilian

Ticket Number : 01724392
ewkilian
Novice

Full Name: Ried

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows