Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
dbarroco
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: David B

Exclude AppData folder

Post by dbarroco »

Hello,

I'm using a job for personal folders on workstations. I'm trying to exclude the appdata folder but can't seem to nail it, I'm wondering if this is possible?
I've tried %appdata%, *appdata* and some more obvious filters, all without success.

If anybody knows how to achieve this I would be appreciated.

thank you very much
David
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Exclude AppData folder

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hey David - I'm curious why you would want this exclusion?

(I don't know how to do it and it's not excluded by default yet it can be big for some apps)

What is excluded by default for any lurkers:
Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows automatically adds to the list of exclusions the following Microsoft Windows objects for all computer users: temporary files folder, Recycle Bin, Microsoft Windows pagefile, hibernate file and VSS snapshot files from the System Volume Information folder.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi David.

To clarify, are you talking about agent managed by Veeam B&R server or standalone agent deployment? Thanks!
dbarroco
Influencer

Post by dbarroco »

Hello Dima,

I'm sorry, I didn't get this notification.

Managed by B&R console. We're trying to exclude all workers appdata folders, and just get the desktop/documents folder. But as this is a medium company, it's not feasible to go one by one, rather than signaling "Profile Folder" and be able to exclude specific folders as appdata.

thank you very much
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

David,

Thank you for the update! It's not possible to automate the application data folder exclusion across all the users within the same machine but you can select predefined Personal Folder checkbox in agent job to include all the profiles automatically.
dbarroco
Influencer

Post by dbarroco »

Hello Dilma
Thank you for the reply.
That's what we intend: to use personal folders option, but most of the data picked up comes from the appdata folder (which is included in each user profile) and without need for us. Some of our profiles have 80% of their data residing in the appdata, hence the need to exclude this out with a filter option.
I hope it can be made available sometime, it would be a huge space saver.
Thanks
David
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello David.

Thanks for the input, I've added your vote to this feature request and we will definitely discuss your case with the team. Cheers!