External Drive not being backed up

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: External Drive not being backed up

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:49 am

Thanks guys - you votes counted. So let’s say we are backing us files and such from external devices, what are you going to use as a destination repository then?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 433 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

[MERGED] Backup System from USB Storage

Veeam Logoby DaStivi » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:20 am

Hi, i need to backup (p2v) a Client HDD from a faulty device, i've attached the disk via an sata2usb dongle and veeam endpoint does not show these partitions now to use it as source volume!! is there any trick or something else so that i can create a backup of these volumes!??

btw, i also can't select files from this drives via the file backup option...

thx
steve
DaStivi
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:49 am

Hi Steve,

External drives are, indeed, not visible to Veeam Endpoint Backup, please review this topic for more details.

P.S. if you can present this device via iSCSI, then it should be possible to back it up.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1092 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] Formal feature request - Backup USB Drives

Veeam Logoby TroyResources » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:44 am 1 person likes this post

I'm quite sure that VEB has been more of a success than Veeam expected hence the flood of feature requests.

Personally even if this became a chargeable product most businesses will pay for this product.
The integration with backup repository is the killer feature.
I've restored a test system from a laptop onto a desktop and different laptop and it worked you know in that weird emergency situation moment :twisted:

Feature request backing up attached storage.

My example 20 road warriors with anywhere from 2TB to 6TB data they need on the road.
These guys manually do use Beyond Compare to sync data to local central servers, then DFS moves this data to other servers globally.
USB Drives they use have fixed drive letters so no worrying about automatic drive letter assignment. (although that's not a huge deal)

What I want to see is the ability to backup these drives when staff are in office.
I've used other backup solutions to tackle this and although they work, it not the kind of integration that VEB could offer.

I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there with this same request, if there are please reply to this thread to gain support for this feature in version 2.x ?
TroyResources
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: TroyResourcesLimited

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:48 am

Yes, this is a pretty popular feature request, thanks for your kind words on the existing version.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1092 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby dbain » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:20 pm

I also would like to voice my support to have this feature added.
dbain
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Bain

Veeam Logoby TroyResources » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:05 am

@Vitaliy, many thanks glad this request is breaking water. Looking forward to V2.x !
TroyResources
Enthusiast

Full Name: TroyResourcesLimited

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:05 pm

Hello Mat,
Thanks for the feedback – any word on how you are going to use this feature in your environment? For instance, what backup destination is going to be used for keeping the backed up USB drive?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby vnavna » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:37 pm

Being able to backup an external USB connected or ESATA connected hard drive would be awesome. Please include that in the future release.
Along with that it would be great to be able to do a cold backup with the bootable device.
Thank you
vnavna
Influencer

Full Name: Steve Vujnovich

Veeam Logoby Brendan_CSEL » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:25 am

+1 for this request. I have a Surface Pro and use a MicroSD card "permanently" installed to give some extra storage for documents some application data. It's a pain having to manage backups for that separately.

By the way, we use Veeam proper for all of our servers and it's great!
Brendan_CSEL
Novice

Full Name: Brendan O'Reilly

Veeam Logoby sibinsam » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:22 am

+1 for feature to backup removable drives
sibinsam
Veeam ProPartner

Full Name: Sibin Sam

Veeam Logoby IDATAAB » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:21 pm

I voted for this earlier and am very glad you guys are taking notice! In my case I have two 2TB external USB drives - want to backup the local HDD of my laptop and one of the external drives I use for storage by using the second external drive as the target. Thats my explanation of what I'm backing up (Source) and where I want to backi it up to (Destination)

Thanks!
IDATAAB
Influencer

Full Name: Jeff Wilson

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:14 pm

Jeff,

Would you like to keep the USB volume backup forever or should it be rotated same way as a regular internal disks? Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby harrym » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:27 pm

Hello everyone,

Please let me add a scenario where backing up a USB volume makes sense.

I have some clients that do video editing from simple to 4K. This is a simplified example: They have an SSD drive C: where they do most of their editing work with (assets, video files, sound files, etc.). Once they finalize and finish their project, they move the file and assets for the client to an external USB 3.0 hard drive, say, drive X:. They also have another USB 3.0 hard drive for backup called Z:

VEEAM can backup the C: drive to Z: but cannot backup the C: drive AND the X: drive to Z:

Fast storage costs money and it makes sense for them to store their completed work on the slower hard drives to free up space for the SSD drive or drives for when it counts. Even for small videos the raw footage can add up to a lot especially if the client wants another one, more changes, etc.

In this case, it would be nice to have an option to treat drive X: as an internal.

I appreciate your constant support and really enjoy the software.
harrym
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Harry Manesiotis

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi, everyone. Just wanted to confirm that this feature is planned and will be coming in the future releases. One of the driving use cases for me personally is backing up the content of SD card sitting in my own Surface 3 ;)
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2333 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows