External Drive not being backed up

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: External Drive not being backed up

Veeam Logoby tblime » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:22 pm 1 person likes this post

Dima P. wrote:Tommy,

Thanks for getting back to us! It sounds like performing one time backup (not affected by retention, or at least USB volumes should be always merged and never erased unless user wants it) and archive the USB data in central location, right?

That is correct. It would really simplify our retirement/disposal methods and allow us to fold all retiring end-user computers into a central repo. Right now, we backup using best available method, depending on the situation, and the archives are scattered.

Utilizing USB backup via VEB, we could further utilize our Veeam investment and (better) justify the ongoing use of it. :wink:
tblime
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tommy Brame

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:38 pm

Tommy,

Thanks for getting back to us and sharing your thoughts. We will take this feedback to the internal feature discussions for sure!
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 441 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby vnavna » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:01 pm

Has there been any update on an ETA on the addition of this feature yet?
vnavna
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Vujnovich

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, we do not have any ETA yet. Can you please share your personal use case for this feature request? Thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby vnavna » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:27 pm

We use a USB to SATA connection to backup hard drives to a location after an initial install. The only problem is that Veeam Endpoint Backup does not see any storage connected to to a USB as a possible backup source. I have gone and bought a eSATA docking station with eSATA card to be able to backup the drives.
It would be nice to be able to backup from a USB connected drive in the future.

Thanks
vnavna
Influencer

Full Name: Steve Vujnovich

Veeam Logoby Gruntlord6 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Any updates on this?
Gruntlord6
Lurker

Full Name: Dylan Hunt

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:38 am

Hi Dylan,

Nu updates on this yet. We released VEB 1.5 a few weeks ago with some enhancements and fixes (including the much wanted email functionality and more) and started to work on the next version now

Cheers

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

[MERGED] Volume Level Backup of USB Attached Storage

Veeam Logoby SBGPInstrSpec » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi,

I have seen some requests back in March 2015 regarding this issue. I am curious as to where it currently stands?

I would like to be able to backup either Full, Volume, or File Level of a HDD attached via USB. I can't fathom why a USB attached storage should be treated any differently.

We often have PCs that come close to failing (Windows won't boot, and the HDD is suspect), and the first thing we like to do is remove the HDD, and connect it to a USB-SATA converter.

I see no reason why USB attached storage should be excluded!?

Mike
SBGPInstrSpec
Lurker

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:02 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing your use case. This request is in the list of potential improvements, so your vote is counted.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby asteinba » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:10 pm

Hey guys,

any updates on this?

Regards,
Angelo
asteinba
Lurker

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:50 pm

There were no updates yet. This feature is still on our radar.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] Backup OF (not to) USB-Sticks?

Veeam Logoby guebert » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Hallo!

Because we use Veeam Endpoint to backup some of our clients, i'd like to suggest a new feature: Backup USB-Sticks. They might get lost/defect and it seems, that nobody makes backups on regularly basis.

I think of a feature in the Endpoint Client "Backup of removeable storage media". When I connect such a medium, VEB should start copy all data after some minutes of idle (!) time to a backup repository.

It might be useful to have the option, to specify, that only selected sticks will be backed-up (eg "my" personal data stick at my bunch of keys, which is encryped with bitlocker).

What do you think about it?

Michael
guebert
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby jmcnemar » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:38 pm

Do you have any news or release dates for enabling back up of internal but always mounted drives on removable media? This is a critical need for those of us who use SD cards or USB in lieu of 'the cloud' to extend the paltry fixed internal storage included with even high end Windows tablets. You need to add that "D:" drive in order to use the tablet to replace a bulky laptop or desktop PC. it may be even larger than your system disk and ideal for storing apps and data. Veeam Endpoint Backup could be a great tool for backing up and recovering, but it is pretty useless if it cannot really back up my entire tablet PC. Even worse, the 'external' limitation is not well known and may be confused with LAN shares, typically an entirely different animal not used to store executables for a device with mobile capabilities. Many users of your current product may actually think it is backing up all of the storage physically contained on their devices and only discover it is not when they need to recover. Please at least add the capability for backup of supplemental permanent storage as used in tablet PCs. Thank you
Crickets are not Optional
jmcnemar
Novice

Full Name: j mcnemar

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding this feature request – its highly appreciated. We will discuss your feedback with the team.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby oyvindo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:26 pm

Dima P. wrote:Thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding this feature request – its highly appreciated. We will discuss your feedback with the team.

@Dima P. You've been saying this for over a year now! Isn't it high time your team actually gets around to doing what we all are asking for? I mean - how hard can it be ?!?
According to Windows 10 Disk Manager, external USB volumes are equally valid volumes as are internal HDD's. This should be a piece of cake and a walk in the park to implement!
oyvindo
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Oyvind Overby

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows