External Drive not being backed up

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: External Drive not being backed up

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:12 am

Hi Oyvind,

First of all, thanks for your feedback! In regards to "how hard it should be" question... Veeam Endpoint Backup didn't have any major releases since v1/ Dima's post. In v1.5 we addressed feedback that has received lost of requests (for example, email notification enhancements) and was not hard to implement. While I do understand you demand, and, honestly, I would also like to see this feature implemented, please appreciate that product has already some cool features planned for the next releases and sometimes it might be too late to squeeze in some features to the minor/major release. However, since this topic is pretty popular, I can assure you this FR is on our radar, and it is not ignored.

Hope this clarifies the situation a bit.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1087 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby nnerling » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:07 am

Just would like to add my desire for removal storage backup, or at very least USB hard drives. VEB is great at what it does but so many of our users have external storage, especially our clients with large amounts of laptop users, and so we're forced to recommend non-Veeam solutions to customers who would otherwise buy into the Veeam platform and set up storage repositories etc.

I know this feature has been requested endlessly looking at the forums, but I wanted you guys to know I feel this option is essential.

Thanks,
N.
nnerling
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Nathan Nerling

Veeam Logoby chavlji » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:41 pm

+1. This is a total must for me. I have removable HDD WD Passport 1TB where I store all my important files (documents, photos, music, project files,...) so I can have them with me wherever I go. This is actually the only thing I need to backup.
chavlji
Lurker

Full Name: Jan Tenebriga

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi Jan,

Thanks for sharing you use case. Out of curiosity, would you like to keep the backup of this removable media forever or it should be affected by retention setting of your backup job? Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 421 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby jmcnemar » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi, Dima; I use a micro 128 GB Micro SD removable media device as a permanent second "disk drive D" in my Windows tablet; It is a permanent part of my system and contains Programs and Data; I need the same Veeam Endpoint Backup and Recovery capabilities and retention settings for this technically removable device as you already offer for my tablet's system disk drive C; These are also the same backup and recovery options you already offer for disk drives C and D in my Windows desktop PC where "C" and "D" are two internal SATA disk drives; Does the recent activity on this topic in the forum mean that you will be working on adding this feature soon? :-) Thank you
jmcnemar
Lurker

Full Name: j mcnemar

Veeam Logoby mawag01 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Hello,

this thread is dead since end of 2016. I also was waiting for implementing backup from external usb-drives. So today I updated to V2.0. But still Veeam doesn't find external drives although it's a major update. So was the request of so many people forgotten or is it intentional that it's still not possible to make volume-backups from usb-drives?

mawag
mawag01
Lurker

Full Name: Martin Wagle

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu May 18, 2017 4:15 am

Hi Martin, It was not forgotten, this FR is still on our radar. We do see the use case for this functionality.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1087 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows