Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: External Drive not being backed up

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Oyvind,

First of all, thanks for your feedback! In regards to "how hard it should be" question... Veeam Endpoint Backup didn't have any major releases since v1/ Dima's post. In v1.5 we addressed feedback that has received lost of requests (for example, email notification enhancements) and was not hard to implement. While I do understand you demand, and, honestly, I would also like to see this feature implemented, please appreciate that product has already some cool features planned for the next releases and sometimes it might be too late to squeeze in some features to the minor/major release. However, since this topic is pretty popular, I can assure you this FR is on our radar, and it is not ignored.

Hope this clarifies the situation a bit.
nnerling
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nathan Nerling

Post by nnerling »

Just would like to add my desire for removal storage backup, or at very least USB hard drives. VEB is great at what it does but so many of our users have external storage, especially our clients with large amounts of laptop users, and so we're forced to recommend non-Veeam solutions to customers who would otherwise buy into the Veeam platform and set up storage repositories etc.

I know this feature has been requested endlessly looking at the forums, but I wanted you guys to know I feel this option is essential.

Thanks,
N.
chavlji
Lurker
Full Name: Jan Tenebriga

Post by chavlji »

+1. This is a total must for me. I have removable HDD WD Passport 1TB where I store all my important files (documents, photos, music, project files,...) so I can have them with me wherever I go. This is actually the only thing I need to backup.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jan,

Thanks for sharing you use case. Out of curiosity, would you like to keep the backup of this removable media forever or it should be affected by retention setting of your backup job? Thanks.
jmcnemar
Novice
Full Name: j mcnemar

Post by jmcnemar »

Hi, Dima; I use a micro 128 GB Micro SD removable media device as a permanent second "disk drive D" in my Windows tablet; It is a permanent part of my system and contains Programs and Data; I need the same Veeam Endpoint Backup and Recovery capabilities and retention settings for this technically removable device as you already offer for my tablet's system disk drive C; These are also the same backup and recovery options you already offer for disk drives C and D in my Windows desktop PC where "C" and "D" are two internal SATA disk drives; Does the recent activity on this topic in the forum mean that you will be working on adding this feature soon? :-) Thank you
Crickets are not Optional
mawag01
Lurker
Full Name: Martin Wagle

Post by mawag01 »

Hello,

this thread is dead since end of 2016. I also was waiting for implementing backup from external usb-drives. So today I updated to V2.0. But still Veeam doesn't find external drives although it's a major update. So was the request of so many people forgotten or is it intentional that it's still not possible to make volume-backups from usb-drives?

mawag
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Martin, It was not forgotten, this FR is still on our radar. We do see the use case for this functionality.
jmcnemar
Novice

Post by jmcnemar »

Any news on when we may see this feature available? I'd heard the new Veeam Agent for Windows will back up a removable mapped drive; After testing ,found it t does not have this capability. Still a major concern with using Veeam to fully back up and recover Windows tablets that use SD cards as functional internal HDD storage. Not everyone "goes to the Cloud" as the purveyors of tiny OEM internal storage must assume. Give a tablet with a half decent processor and RAM one of today's higher capacity SD cards as it's permanent "D: drive" and you've got an ultralight, multi-touch enabled laptop replacement, but no way to back it all up with the otherwise excellent Veeam product. Ever hopeful...Thanks, J McNemar
techgirl
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by techgirl »

Ditto - would like to see this feature.
I use a Kangaroo Pro - its drive is only 32GB but the Pro dock allows me a second D:\ drive using a standard laptop HDD or SSD. My understanding is it's SATA but is detected as USB. Veeam doesn't list D:\ as a source option under Volume backup. It does see it as a backup destination location though.

I would like to back up both my C and D to NAS.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

Thanks for you feedback guys. I don't have an ETA at the moment, can only say that this feature is planned.
cpfleger
Certified Trainer
Liked: 42 times
Full Name: Claus Pfleger

Post by cpfleger » 1 person likes this post

Having a MS Surface3 here which is equiped with a SDcard for most data as built in 128GB storage is almost full.
Obviously VAW sees that also as external drive and doesn't backup it.

So pls. one more vote for that FR.

Regards!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Claus,

Thanks. I can add two more votes for you :wink:
hasarad
Lurker
Full Name: Don Hasara

Post by hasarad »

For the love of God please add support of USB and SD backups! There are a whole mess of disgruntled CrashPlan users that need someplace to go, and the lack of USB source backup will be a showstopper.
nchand
Enthusiast

Post by nchand »

Still waiting for this feature, cannot use Veeam Agent for Windows until support for USB device backups is implemented.
Maurice
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Maurice Galicic

Post by Maurice »

I would like to see this Feature, too. :)
jmcnemar
Novice

Post by jmcnemar »

I did not see it in the v2.1 features list, but it is so important, I have to ask anyway: Is the removable/external drive backup feature included in the v2.1 released on 12/19/17? I was encouraged when you told us in August 2017, "...this feature is planned..." Until this feature is available, I cannot depend on Veeam Agent to back up and recover my "PC", a Windows 10 Pro Tablet with tiny internal SSD (C:) and generously sized (technically) removable micro SD card (D:). Thank you
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

This feature is not part of 2.1 release, however this is still planned for future releases.
nchand
Enthusiast

Post by nchand »

Just want to keep bumping this topic. It is really a deal breaker for many of us who really want to use this product - especially with Crashplan getting out of the home backup game.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

We'll count your vote :-)
But as Vitaliy said above, this is indeed already planned. We just can't give you any details on a timeline at this moment

Cheers
Mike
SKratzTS
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Steve Kratz

Post by SKratzTS »

Timeline bump. I'm having to push customers to other backup products. You're losing customers by not having something as basic as USB-attached drive backups.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Steve,

Unfortunately I still cannot give you a timeline. Our teams are working on it but as you know we don't give timelines because we don't want to put something half-baked on the market. It needs to work :-)
jmcnemar
Novice

Post by jmcnemar »

My annual plea for this important feature...Will you provide any new information on when (if ever) it will be included with Veeam Agent for Windows? It's been years since the initial reply suggested it was planned for some later release. Has Veeam decided to permanently table this feature? If so, why is that? Seems like there has been customer demand for it. Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello jmcnemar.

Yes, this feature is included in the upcoming Veeam Agent for Windows 30. Stay tuned for the announcements!

Edit: Veeam Agent for Windows went live, so you can test this functionality now.
jmcnemar
Novice

Post by jmcnemar »

My hopes were raised up, but now dashed down….Regrettably, the recently released Veeam Agent for Windows 30 appears to only allow backing up of USB type "external" media, not SD type media; That means I still cannot depend on Veeam Agent for Windows to back up and recover my entire "PC", consisting of a Windows 10 Pro Tablet with tiny factory installed SSD (C:) and generously sized (technically) removable micro SD card (D:). Why only include USB media as an additional backup source? Micro SD media is more likely than USB media to physically mounted internally on a very small form factor device! Do you plan to ever add a feature to enable back up of Windows NTFS formatted SD type media? Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello jmcnemar,

Agent scan backup the data from any removable media that supports VSS snapshots. As far as I know most of the NTFS formatted SD cards should support it. May I ask you to raise a support case and let our team investigate your setup? Thank you in advance!
jmcnemar
Novice

Post by jmcnemar »

Hi Dima, I would be happy to raise a support case, but I am using the Veeam Agent for Windows Free. Perhaps this explains why, when I log in on support site and try to create a support ticket, the app says I cannot use my profile's email address, I must use "business" email address. That is not applicable, so I am stuck at a user profile update web form and cannot proceed forward to raise a support case;
I do have some ideas on what could be involved in Veeam Agent for Windows v 3.02 still not recognizing my NTFS formatted SD card, an external disk (D:) as a volume and backup source. I am running Windows 10 Pro 1903 on the problem machine; VSS is not enabled on Windows 10. If Veeam Agent is using VSS , then maybe it only looks for a volume with an existing shadow copy or will only create a new shadow copy on the C: drive volume? Also, when I updated to Veeam 3.02, I did not create a new Veeam Backup Job. I did edit & re-save the settings of my pre-3.02 entire computer backup job with the new external USB check box checked.
Any thoughts? Thank You, J McNemar
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

jmcnemar,

Please PM me you contact email address and I'll ask support team to reach you. Cheers!
corbitech
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Ashok Kumar

Post by corbitech »

I updated to Windows 10 Pro 1903 yesterday, and I have a similar issue as reported by jmcnemar's post dated 7/29/19.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello corbitech,

Support team is working on a KB article to help our customers identify the reasons why the external device is being skipped. Meanwhile, can you please elaborate what type of external device you would like to backup? Thanks!
Invision
Lurker
Full Name: Vladimir

Post by Invision »

Hello,
It is still not possible to make a backup of flash drive? I was searching for replacement for Acronis and was assured that found great solution. But the feature of Veeam is beyond my compass.
Sometimes USB flash drive contains many very important information. Much more than OS disk.