Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
horaceho
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Horace

Failed re-install windows Agent

Post by horaceho »

Hi all,
I had a windows agent need to migrate the agent from Veeam Server to another new Veeam Server,
after I uninstall the Veeam agent and re-install that it's failed to install with error "Failed to acquire agent managed by (the old VBR Server)" -
and
“Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows cannot be configured, because it is managed by your system administrator." -
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Failed re-install windows Agent

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
are you using the central deployment option from VBR or are you installing locally on the machine and then manually connect to a Veeam repository?

Did you also uninstall the Veeam installer service?

Best regards,
Hannes
horaceho
Influencer

Post by horaceho »

Hi ,

2 of this I had tried , the first error message was show while I using deploy option and the 2nd message is from install locally .

Also I had uninstall the installer services and restarted the server.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I cannot reproduce it. It works fine for me.

I suggest to contact support. Please post the case number here for reference.

I did the following:
- VBR1: "uninstall all components" from one of the servers in one of my protection groups
- VBR2: create new job with individual computer & run backup job
- VBR2: "uninstall all components"
- VBR1: install agent again

no issues

I also tested to add the agent on VBR1 while it was managed by VBR2. This was not possible, but this is correct and expected.

Best regards,
Hannes
horaceho
Influencer

Post by horaceho »

Hi,

I don’t know , there are a 3 node cluster servers and I had migrate the a and d node was success but it’s failed for the C node.

Support advise me for re install to the old VBR but it’s still failed after tried .

Case # 03628214
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

I just reviewed the case and I have nothing to add. There must be some leftovers on the C node for whatever reason (I don't understand which registry was checked already by you / support). Support is the only one who can help in that situation.
horaceho
Influencer

Post by horaceho »

Hi Hannes,

is it any way to fully uninstall Veeam Agent ? thank you.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, by clicking "uninstall" - but that failed obviously. Please escalate the case in the support portal if things are not going forward.

Best regards,
Hannes
horaceho
Influencer

Post by horaceho »

Thanks Hannes
horaceho
Influencer

Post by horaceho »

after support troubleshoots, it's solved by install cert to the agent client and re-install to the old VBR server and uninstall.
jessie0
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by jessie0 »

Hello Hannesk,

My question is slightly different from the above asked question(s), and sorry if this is not the right forum for these questions.

During my first attempt at backing up a physical server(windows OS),
I had to remotely install veeam agent from the veeam console into the server after the backup job failed.
Now I am experimenting again with the same OS and the backup job was successful, even though I did not install veeam agent into the server.
I confirmed from the "Inventory" option on the veeam console that Agent had been installed because it only gave me the "uninstall all component" option.

Questions:
1. Is veeam agent for windows OS installed automatically when a backup job is started? I am certain I did not install any agent.

2. Is there some option in the backup job configuration steps that is enabled by default to install veeam agent into physical server.
If yes, please point me in that direction.

Thanks.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Jessie,

Most likely it has been deployed automatically, as a part of Protection Group creation.

Physical machines can be only backed up using Agents and you may control the approach to deployment by manipulating the Protection Group settings.

Thanks
jessie0
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by jessie0 »

Hello Wishr,

Thanks for your response.
You mentioned "Protection Group". The confusing thing is that I have not created a protection group with the server in it.
I don't understand how the outcome is different for both attempts.
If I were to explain this to a customer, I would want to be sure of the correct procedure.
I cant say I understand the reason for the difference in both attempts.

Thanks.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Jessie,

Another possibility could be the Agent remains here after the initial installation during the first attempt. It's hard to say what happened without looking at what you have done so I suggest you go the whole process one more time using a clean machine with no Agents installed.

Thanks
chalkynz
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Nathan Shaw

Post by chalkynz »

HannesK wrote: Jun 25, 2019 7:45 am ...I also tested to add the agent on VBR1 while it was managed by VBR2. This was not possible, but this is correct and expected.
Hi, so this implies that the procedure for moving to a new Management server, if an old Management server is unavailable, is to uninstall all agents manually. Is that right?
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Nathan,

Not necessarily. There is a registry key that allows a "new" backup server to get the ownership of the agents initially deployed from an "old" backup server. The key is obtainable from our support team.

Thanks
WarnerK
Novice

Post by WarnerK »

Reboot the Exchange server, possibly twice may that resolve your issue.
mradr
Lurker
Liked: never

[MERGED] Trying to get Free to work on my computer again

Post by mradr »

Trying to get Free to work on my computer again. For some reason a few years back my copy just flat out stop working giving me the following error: "Veeam Agent for MS Windows cannot be configured because it is managed by your system administrator"

I must have tried 1000 different methods across the board, even waited for a few version differences to upgrade to to see if it would be fix over time. Still no luck so asking here...

Tried removing the veeam reg entries, removing left over folders in programs/files and programdata, SQL 2012, etc

Using the newest build 5.0 something and at this point figure I ask here. I don't own a full copy ~ so not sure if I could ask for help on their support. Can't open the GUI either. Yea .. just at a stuck point. Event logs don't show anything error from what I can tell and even the logs Veeam makes says the same thing as well. I guess is there a "cleaner" way to reset the Veeam for a reinstall or what am I missing here? I didnt have it on any managed software either. This was just a stand alone computer back when Veeam 2.0 release at the time (well been using it from the beta release).
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Travis,

Moved your post to the existing thread with a similar issue.
Please take a look at the discussions above.
If none of the suggested solutions help - please open a Support case and share its ID with us.

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

wishr wrote: May 18, 2020 11:07 am There is a registry key that allows a "new" backup server to get the ownership of the agents initially deployed from an "old" backup server. The key is obtainable from our support team.
I need to get this registry key too. We have decided to rebuild the mgmt backup server from scratch as a vm for our new backup environment. I have to reconfigure ownership for around 30 Agents to the new vbr server.
Would it be possible to write a KB article for this key or is there some risk to release it? But I‘m happy to open a support case for the key, if it‘s not possible :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mradr
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by mradr »

Natalia Lupacheva wrote: Jun 27, 2021 5:13 pm If none of the suggested solutions help - please open a Support case and share its ID with us.
The thing is I can't create the ticket number. For some reason it wants me to "upgrade" my account but the email needs to be business and when I do it says the account is already in use xD so unable to create such thing because of the limit of the website logic. I do use it for business... so that account is lock out of use for personal.

Yes, I read over this post, did everything I knew how from here. Still no luck. Its like its reading from some other location, but I am not aware of all locations veeams puts files or reg keys. Something veeam doesnt seem to document anywhere short of just finding it by random on other websites. To be clear, this copy was never put on a VBR server or any managed method.

I went as far as to:
1) Uninstall the software
2) Uninstall SQL 12
3) Remove everything in programdata\veeam
4) Remove everything in program files\veeam
5) Remove LocalDB (witch wasn't created)
6) Check system32\config\systemprofile
7) systemprofile\appdata\local\ms sql server local db\instances\veeamendpoint
8) Remove veeam reg key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE

Is there any other place Veeam hides stuff xD?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Fabian, This is the one.

mradr, please PM me your contact email address - I'll ask support team to get in touch with you. Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Thanks Dima :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
anderp
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Paul

Post by anderp » 2 people like this post

I didn't want to do a full reinstall, so I went to the server that would not update and stopped "Veeam agent for Microsoft Windows" it failed to stop so I disabled it. I then restarted "Veeam installer service". Then switch to my Veeam backup server and ran update from the Inventory tab on the Veeam server. It finally installed the update to Windows agent. I went back to the server, switched "Veeam agent for Microsoft Windows" back to Automatic and started the services. My SQL transactions logs started backing up again. All updates completed last night.