Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
reed76
Novice
Liked: never

Feature Request - Actively Notify When Storage Is Full

Post by reed76 »

Hello. I've been a chamption of Veeam for my companies since 2009, big fan of EPB, it's saved my bacon on my home laptop twice now. Many thanks.

Recently, it appears a Win10 update has changed the file system on our laptop causing EPB/VAW to reset CBT. Super. I don't believe I configured full/synthetic backups - I didn't change any settings when my laptop upgraded from EBP to VAW. It appears to be attempting to run a full backup, or otherwise much larger than an incremental.

Figuring it's going to take a while if CBT has been reset (much familiar w/ VBR in my Enterprises) I left it running - since last weekend. Clearly something's up if it can't backup ~350GB in about five days. I look more closely at the console, it's been skipping/failing the last couple of days, but retrying the next day each time (set to backup no more than once a day). After having to click through some things, I finally find that there's not enough space on my backup storage, and hasn't been since I started over the weekend. Thanks, VAW. Wish I'd known that.

Can you please have this thing actively notify when it sees it does not have enough space to make a backup on destination storage please? System tray notification, pop-up, anything. I've wasted about five days waiting for this thing to back up not knowing ~150GB is not enough to backup at most a few GB of changes - minus whatever happened to cause CBT to be reset.

Also, I've searched/Googled/etc. how do we delete a backup chain to free up some space on our storage in VAW? This is the tired old problem of Veeam needs to make a complete backup to delete previous chains itself to free up space to make a complete backup, but it can't because there's not enough space to complete a backup to free up some space to complete a backup.

Many thanks, please.

p.s. I also searched, why can we not use a public email address to register in the forums? This is for my home laptop and I've been telling all my friends and family to use it at home.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - Actively Notify When Storage Is Full

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome reed76,
Can you please have this thing actively notify when it sees it does not have enough space to make a backup on destination storage please?
Backup job should notify you with warning when target destination is less than 10% be default (same warning should appear in email reports). Have you seen this notification in previous job runs?
how do we delete a backup chain to free up some space on our storage in VAW? This is the tired old problem of Veeam needs to make a complete backup to delete previous chains itself to free up space to make a complete backup, but it can't because there's not enough space to complete a backup to free up some space to complete a backup.
Is it possible to move this backup chain to another storage or use any other backup destination? If not it’s possible to delete the existing backup chain and start a new one in the same location.
I also searched, why can we not use a public email address to register in the forums?
Unfortunately, that's true. Forums require a personal email address to avoid spammers and bots from attacking our community.
reed76
Novice
Liked: never

Post by reed76 »

Many thanks as always, Dima. I never got actively notified on-screen but I have not setup email notification. Sounds like I will be now. Sounds like I may also be configuring for full/incremental backups to create chains I can delete if needed going forward. Being more familar w/ VBR, if I do have to delete a chain in the future (full/incremental), I didn't see a "rescan repository" in VAW. Is it smart enough to find things on its own, or ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome.
Is it smart enough to find things on its own, or ?
Yes. You can either map backup job to backup chain (it should detect the backup chain and continue it) or you can browse for backup during restore (in case mapping is not required).