Feature Request: Allow mixing of Free and Paid versions

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Feature Request: Allow mixing of Free and Paid versions

Veeam Logoby Driehl » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm a little confused as to why the all or nothing licensing model for VAW was taken by Veeam, but I really wish you would reconsider it. We have no need for the Workstation version the our desktop/laptop installs but would like to use Server on our few remaining Physical servers. This unfortunately means Veeam will be losing out on additional revenue from us as this license model forces us to stay on the free version.
Driehl
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Riehl

Re: Feature Request: Allow mixing of Free and Paid versions

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:04 am

Paid versions of the agent are primarily targeted at those businesses who needs technical support for agents. If you don't need technical support, then indeed you can just stay on the free version. We have no plans to discontinue free agents, and will only keep enhancing those.

Mixing free and paid agents is not allowed because this would enable customers to potentially roll hundreds of free agents into B&R and still get full support for the overall solution due to the presence of a few paid agents. And of course, supporting a B&R server that is teared apart by hundreds of free agents has substantially higher cost for Veeam than supporting a B&R server targeted by just a few paid agents... so the price of those few paid agents simply won't cover our support costs for such a deployment. Hope it makes sense.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2337 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby Driehl » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:41 pm

Not really, technically if I had an issue I could buy a single license for Workstation or Server and apply it to the problem agent and get support, once the issue was solved I could remove the license and carry on. So going with this model really does nothing to stop the "Bad Apples" from cheating on paying for support. It does stop customers like myself from paying Veeam money on a yearly basis to support our few remaining physical servers though.

Is there another outlet I can use to make this kind of suggestion?
Driehl
Novice

Full Name: Dave Riehl

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:23 am

Driehl wrote:Not really, technically if I had an issue I could buy a single license for Workstation or Server and apply it to the problem agent and get support, once the issue was solved I could remove the license and carry on.

No, this approach of "cheating" support won't work, as they will require debug logs from the moment when the issue occurred, and those logs would reflect the presence of free agents.

One valid approach that is not considered cheating would be to use separate Veeam Backup & Replication instance for free agents. We have no problems with that, as long as there is clear separation between "supported" and "unsupported" parts of your environment.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2337 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby ChrisRoad » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Gostev wrote:And of course, supporting a B&R server that is teared apart by hundreds of free agents has substantially higher cost for Veeam than supporting a B&R server targeted by just a few paid agents... so the price of those few paid agents simply won't cover our support costs for such a deployment. Hope it makes sense.

As this policy bugs us as well....
I see what you try to avoid, but that's only one half of the story.

We would use some workstation/server editions along the free agents, for the added features (like multiple backup jobs) and not cause we need/want support.
You could still deny official support for such "mixed" environments, so what's to lose for you?
ChrisRoad
Service Provider

Full Name: Christoph Roethlisberger

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows