Feature Request - Backup at logon / shutdown event

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Feature Request - Backup at logon / shutdown event

Veeam Logoby aschneickert » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:47 pm

Hello,

first: thanks a lot for that product! I always wanted a Veeam equivalent for simple workstation / server backup.
Good work!

On to the request:
I would like to be able to schedule a backup to run at a logon or a shutdown event.

Use case:
I am using my home PC not every day and at different times, so a time schedule doesn't work for me.
One backup a day, for the days I'm using the PC, is good enough for me.
The available "backup at event" events "at lock", "at logoff" or "at backup attach" don't work for me, since I'm only powering the computer up once when I start working and power it down when I'm done.
So, ideal for me would be a "backup at shutdown" event: I'm done working, shut down the PC, the backup is taken and the computer is powered off.

A "backup at logon" event would also be useful for those cases, when you mess up your PC somehow during a work session.
You have a clean backup before you messed things up and with "backup at shutdown" you have one at the end of a work session to backup your days work.
Combine that with the backup to a Veeam backup repository feature in the final version and configuration settings in GPOs as others have requested and you have your workstations well covered.

It would also be good to have these two backup events not only as additional options in the GUI, but also as parameters in a command line interface (my second feature request, that you will hopefully implement for the final version).
That could be very useful for scripts, like implementing safety backups before a software rollout to physical workstations. At least for smaller environments.

Regards,
André
aschneickert
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: André Schneickert

Re: Feature Request . Backup at logon / shutdown event

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi, André. Thanks for your kind words. "On logoff" was supposed to work at shutdown as well (because every shutdown starts with logoff), but I did not verify if it does in beta. We will check that. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Veeam Logoby aschneickert » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:28 am

Hi Anton,

you are right, of course. But it didn't work right for me. When you set "back up no more often than every" to one day and activate "at log off", it doesn't back up on log off, restart or shutdown.
When I set the schedule to "every 4 hours", it works during log off, but not during a shutdown.
I tested it on Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise.

André
aschneickert
Novice

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:37 am

André,
"back up no more often than every" to one day

If you have multiple schedule options enabled you and your backup job was started previously by one of them - next event trigger will be suspended due the ‘backup no more often that every’ timer. However, the manual backup will work anytime.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 441 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

[MERGED] Feature request - schedule backup at logon

Veeam Logoby sax_on » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:51 pm 1 person likes this post

An option to make a backup at logon with specific time delay
For example backup at logon with 1hr delay.
sax_on
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Piotr Kurzeja

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:16 pm

Piotr,
In case we decide to include such event in the prodict I guees delay and backup on logon come together.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Re: Feature Request - Backup at logon / shutdown event

Veeam Logoby aschneickert » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Hello Dmitry,

If you have multiple schedule options enabled you and your backup job was started previously by one of them - next event trigger will be suspended due the ‘backup no more often that every’ timer.

More than one day has passed already for a backup to happen during logoff/shutdown with the settings "backup no more often than every one day" and backup at logoff event.
It isn't working, the backup doesn't start.
I would only need the option to backup at logoff / shutdown, but the GUI doesn't allow it to deactivate the "backup no more often than..." option. I have to set something there. And since I want only one backup a day, I set it to one day.

André
aschneickert
Novice

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:15 pm

André,
Please open a case thru the built in Support case tool in the Control Panel, and let me know the case ID, so I could ask QA to take a look at your logs. Thank you
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby aschneickert » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:24 pm

Dmitry,

the case ID is 00704809.

André
aschneickert
Novice

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Thank you, André! Will look into this tomorrow.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby LukeAd » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:05 pm

+1 to the request for "backup at logon" with optional delay

(e.g., start backup 10 minutes after each logon)
LukeAd
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Luke Admin

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:38 pm

Thinking about this option - such timer should be tunable via backup job settings, right?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:42 pm

I would say 10 minutes as a default is nice and maybe tweakable through registry. The less options in the UI, the better I like it for end-users :-D
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby LukeAd » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:59 pm 2 people like this post

Dima P. wrote:

Thinking about this option - such timer should be tunable via backup job settings, right?

As admins we like to have everything as tunable as possible, so yeah, having the ability to tweak this as needed would be great.

However I agree with Mike that going with defaults and keeping the UI super clean and simple for the non-admin user is a big bonus.

I have to admit...at first when I started using VEB I was a bit uncomfortable with the lack of tunable options on every setting...but now after a few days of testing and pounding away on a couple of endpoints I'm really liking the simplicity. I feel like you guys are really succeeding at the difficult task of making a product simple and clean for non-technical users, while giving it enough power for the techie types. I will agree with this statement even more if you can continue to implement a number of the more "enterprise" feature requests that I see being posted on here (I'm wondering if it's inevitable that we'll eventually see an enterprise version of VEB in addition to the free version)
LukeAd
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Luke Admin

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:56 am

Luke,

Thanks for the kind words! We try indeed to do this and trust me when I say that everything we see and read here at the forum help a lot!

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows