Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Feature Request - Backup to cloud repository

Post by Cragdoo »

As the latest version allows backups to Veeam B&R repositories, the next logical step is allow backups to cloud repositories.

Appreciate it may have been mentioned in other posts, but just putting a dedicated post to allow people to add their backing.

Just keeping the push on ;) :D
jweave
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Re: Feature Request - Backup to cloud repository

Post by jweave »

+1 from me, would love to see this feature!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Keep on pushing, keep on pushing ;-)

We indeed saw this passing by already a few times so we will certainly look at this possibility in the future

Cheers

Mike
millardjk
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Jim Millard

Post by millardjk »

Add another to the list...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Please note that we do support Backup Copy of endpoint backups to a cloud repository already. In fact, one of the major Veeam Cloud Connect provider has already tested this service over a weekend, and reached out to us earlier today asking to update their Veeam Cloud Provider Directory listing with this new offering!
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard

Post by Cragdoo »

Do you mean Endpoint > VBR repository >Backup copy > cloud repository ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct.
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard

Post by Cragdoo »

Thanks Vitaliy , I guess it would be nice to backup straight to Cloud repository rather than have to go an existing VBR repository.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, it does make sense if you provide backup as a service to your clients that do not have Veeam B&R installed. Thanks for the feedback!
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard

Post by Cragdoo » 2 people like this post

I bet there are a few nervous BaaS vendors out there right now, keeping a very close eye on the development of Endpoint :)

I was in a meeting earlier today discussing another BaaS product, and kept thinking "if only Endpoint was Enterprise/SMB grade , we'd have a much easier ride here" .... keeping my fingers crossed :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Those vendors should chill out as I don't see us giving away enterprise-grade product for free ;) we will never charge consumers for it though.
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard

Post by Cragdoo » 1 person likes this post

Gostev wrote:Those vendors should chill out as I don't see us giving away enterprise-grade product for free ;) we will never charge consumers for it though.
Willing to bet IF a paid Enterprise version was released (eventually ???) it would really ruffle a few feathers. Well not so much ruffle more letting the cat out of the bag, and letting the afore mentioned cat eating the proverbial feathered 'creature'...
colossus610
Novice
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Bryan Mroch

Post by colossus610 » 2 people like this post

I would also like to add my +1 request as a Veeam Cloud Provider(for what it's worth) for
Veeam Endpoint client-direct-connect to Cloud Repository(direct port 6180)
in addition to
Veeam Endpoint to Veeam Server Repository(port 10001) then upload to Cloud Repo
functionality.
Since laptops aren't always inside the local network for local network access to a Veeam Server/Repository, going that one authentication step further in allowing Veeam Endpoint to authenticate either via LAN port 10001 for Veeam internal Repository or WAN port 6180 to connect to a Veeam Cloud Repository direct from anywhere on the internet seems almost too easy of a thing, and beneficial, and sales-pitchable beyond measure.

Myself not otherwise excluded by any means, my employer and engineer coworkers are fully enamored with and fully support Veeam: It does just work. Since some other backup company shot themselves in the foot with their versions following v2010(... no names :wink: ...)and are currently 'floating facedown in the backup industry swimming pool', I am immensely excited to see Veeam now dipping their toes in the same water for physical machine backups. We've also been through three different endpoint-to-cloud backup products to date and have been left with quite the nasty tastes in our mouths. Stacked, orphaned, corrupt snapshots...laughable compression...ungodly backup file sizes(Veeam's 2TB vs competitor's 5.8TB for the same VMs) Whenever we compare to the results we get from local Veeam backups, even now more so with the Veeam server Backup to Cloud Repo...this next logical step(like the first poster said) seems almost too easy a nail in the coffin for the others and that much more of a total coverage suite for your guys.
As to Gostev's post; you wouldn't even have to give it away for free, or worry about doing so. I was told Veeam Cloud Connect pricing was $x.xx per machine(not sure if I can post actual price), but for that price-
a: it's not being given away
b: it's a damn good deal and already more than competitive enough for a reseller like me to tack onto an already-trusted backup product

Either way, Please keep up the good work with your existing products and humor us beggy, needy, whiny-about-it(ok maybe just me whining about it) resellers asking for this feature request!!!
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard

Post by Cragdoo »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Yes, it does make sense if you provide backup as a service to your clients that do not have Veeam B&R installed. Thanks for the feedback!
^ this
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Bryan, good post and I agree with all your points. Direct backup to a Cloud Connect provider has been on my personal wish list, and I "keep pushing" internally. Thanks!
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard

Post by Cragdoo » 1 person likes this post

Gostev wrote:Hi Bryan, good post and I agree with all your points. Direct backup to a Cloud Connect provider has been on my personal wish list, and I "keep pushing" internally. Thanks!
See that's what I really like about these forums. Where else do you see VP of Products actively engaging in the forums with users/customers, listening to their needs and doing something about it :)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

And begging seems to be helping :-D :-D :-D
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard

Post by Cragdoo »

Mike Resseler wrote:And begging seems to be helping :-D :-D :-D
That's a given ...... as we say over here "shy kids don't get any sweeties"
dnrc
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel Caine

Post by dnrc »

i would very much like this feature. i was actually disappointed as i thought that was what was meant by backing up to a B+R repository in the 8.2 release.

I want it to provide BAAS to our customers who don't have/cant afford full virtualisation/veeam

i see this as a perfect fit along with cloudconnect to provide basic file level and possibly image backups
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks Daniel for the use case. As you have read, Anton has it on his personal wish list so.... :-)